[Battery] Questions

Hello,

I'm not sure if I can ask this here but I'm sure someone will know I am looking at this product a an option for an Ipod Video for extra power.

Now it supposedly take 4 AA Alkaline batteries to attach to the Ipod's dock to extend when Battery power is depleted. Now I want to know if it would make any difference if I use 4 x AA sony Ni-Cd 2500 mAh rechargeble batteries insted. That way I can recharge instead of using the throw away Alkaline's.

By the way what mean "mAh" anyway , does it refer to the capacity or power of the battery?

So do you think this product would break down or worse the ipod would break if high capacity rechargeble batteries would rush through this device??

Thank you so much

Ralph HOnsbek

Reply to
honsbeek

It almost certainly won't hurt anything if you use Ni-Cad or NiMh cells, instead of alkalines, but the voltage will be lower, since both of the rechargeable types put out about 1.2 volts per cell, while the fresh alkalines put out about 1.5 volts. So the battery indicator will probably never read full voltage.

That is an abbreviation of the product of milliamperes of output current times hours of operation... milliampere hours. Yes, it is a measure of the energy capacity of the batteries, assuming some nominal range of usable output voltage.

No. As long as the cells produce no more voltage than the 4 alkalines do, the IPOD will draw the same current. Larger cells just last longer.

Reply to
John Popelish

The one other possible disadvange with rechargeables NiCd is that they have a high self discharge rate. Thus if you charge them but don't use them for a few days you may find them discharged.

Dan

-- Dan Hollands

1120 S Creek Dr Webster NY 14580
Reply to