Okay fine, for sure, for sure

Somebody at Penton can definitely afford good drugs:

.

Ten bucks apiece for back issues of a low-information trade rag.

Publishing history in the making!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

2009-2013 doesn't interest me. I wouldn't mind leafing through some of the 70's and 80's issues though, for the memories.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

recently found this:

My granddad had a whole pile of them from the ~60's I think I read all of them when I was a kid

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 07:52:35 -0500, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

I have noticed that in our modern age, folks set their price points way too high. Like shooting themselves in the foot. And they artificially inflate prices everywhere. Too much greed is breaking what free enterprise should be.

I go for volume. A good price point sells.

Ten bucks each for what was originally distributed as a free rag is pretty ridiculous. And it is a mere digital copy.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 05:15:27 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@bid.nes" Gave us:

Not at ten bucks a pop. Hell, not at ten bucks a year!

They are lame, to say the least.

Now, if someone scanned and posted one of those old years, they'd be all over you for it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yes! Quantity rather than quality. Good for you!

Reply to
John S

I didn't get past the pop-up "sponsored introduction."

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 07:12:27 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

Then you are not giving an opinion of the publisher or publications, you are giving an opinion of the site, and the site owner's scruples.

I do not disagree, mind you. I thought it was a bit offensive as well. Well... the entire trend that way.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Why would they have a sponsored introduction to an ad? Hey, that could be nested, a sponsored introduction to the sponsored introduction.

ED, and EDN, have been painfully bad junk for some years now. Their "ideas for design" are only useful as jokes.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Memories of what? They were still garbage back then.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That's okay. He wants quantity.

Reply to
John S

Even journalists need to eat.

I bet they are doing a controlled experiment to find the correct price point: Randomly offer various visitors various prices, and find the revenue-maximizing point (the knee in the price-volume curve). There has to be a knee somewhere between zero price (max volume) and $50 per article (zero volume).

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Except in the boundary case, the one explored by the Trabant and Wartburg car factories in the old East Germany. Their products were worth less than the raw materials cost (not even counting labour), so there was no price point where they could make money.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Indeed. Their factories functioned to degrade perfectly good raw materials.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I always marvel at the idea if your cost to produce is $1 and you sell at $2 you made $1. But if you sell at $3 you only need to sell 1/2 as many to make the same $1. A 50% increase in price and you doubled your profit. This is something to contemplate for 1 or 2 man operations were your doing it all, purchasing, building and selling. My wife and I have been in our little shrimp retail business for about

14 years on the marina. During those years we have had about six competitors, always within 50 yards of our location. They all undercut us on prices, non of them has lasted. When they found they were working hard and not getting rich, they gave it up. Also doesn't hurt that my wife will work 65 hours a week. :-) Mikek
Reply to
amdx

sell at a loss make it up in volume ;)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Heh. At least the Trabants and Wartbergs were made of low-grade heavy cardboard, versus high-grade magazine paper. But I'n unclear on the details of how one makes a car from electrons.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Where is that?

We like to boil them in Zatarains and do lettuce wrap things with dabs of Arnaud's remoulade sauce. White wine or beer, sourdough, good quick dinner.

Or saute/scorch in butter and garlic, add a little cream, and serve over pasta.

And there's always fried shrimp on toast, when you can't get oysters.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Oooooo... Zatarains. Best there ever was. Good for everything, except maybe ice cream.

Reply to
John S

I knew old man Zatarain. He lived in uptown New Orleans when I was a kid. His house had a big open bottom floor and he built an elaborate grotto, full of statues of Saints (Catholic ones, not football players) and little shrines and pools of water and stuff. He didn't get many visitors so he was happy to have us around.

Their crab cake mix is pretty good, if you add an egg and some garlic. I like their liquid seafood boil stuff. Dump a tablespoon or two in the water, open the windows, and crank up the vent fan.