Not sure how this works? Dr. Hobbs?

This is one proposal from NASA's advanced program:

Not sure how this works...?

The list of selected proposals is here:

Jan Panteltje

It looks like they're trying to build the Fourier transform of a telescope. Ideas like that have been around for awhile, but usually die because the SNR is horrible. Maybe these guys have a better notion of how to do it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:13:12 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

Thanks!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:39:42 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

PS just try some research via google, as I though tat least S. J. Ben Yoo (who seems to be professor) would AT LEAST have published a paper on such a revolutionary thing as replacing all optics and sensors of a telescope by a solid state solution..

There is no such paper to be found! These are his publications, he is into optical chip OK:

Whatever the idea may be, and IIRC they also had the 'anti gravity' by Podkletnov in the NASA advanced research program, it has either been classified (look from space to earth, NSA surveillance?), or he has friends at NASA who believe him without a real working device, or ??

So I think (and I do remember those 'spectral sensors' are already on some spacecraft) well call it Fourier, a prism would do that, but OK, little wave guides for light.. Maybe he wants little waveguides for light pointing in a zillion directions, yes that sort of 'telescope' could work, and indeed I think you are right it is an old idea, I remember discussing something like that in sci.astro? many many years ago, not practical at that time of course... maybe something like that... Else it will be a money sink, what happened to Podkletnov's anti-gravity superconducting setup at NASA? They abandoned it, but some say they have it working....

Well, from time to time I will google for a real paper by S. J. Ben Yoo on that NASA project... Maybe something will surface..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Zowie! It looks like they're getting not a bright/dark image, but going for a full amplitude/phase determination. So, it's a inverse-hologram sensor. I dubious about the white-light amplitude/phase determination claim, though. Looks like a long term research effort being incubated.

Reply to
whit3rd

#.UiBIRSrgHhc

selections/#.UiBHNCrgHhc

Better notion or not, by "Bullshit Bingo, Opto-edition" card came up with five in a row about 1/4 of the way through the abstract.

So in that sense, I think we have a winner.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

On a sunny day (Sat, 31 Aug 2013 14:03:02 -0700 (PDT)) it happened whit3rd wrote in :

PS or type:

and stroboscope tube 4kv finds a TUBE TG1-2,5/4 4kV 2.5A Russian thyratron for 25$, many more things

Reply to
Jan Panteltje