AAAARRRRGH! #28 stranded ribbon-cable wire -> protoboard? Hah!

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:19:13 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

I think he thought it was one of his farts. I'll bet the fucker stinks pretty bad too. People move away from him at the bar.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Well, if you're inferring, from implication, that I'm "a superior lifeform", I guess I can't be held responsible for implying something that might or might not have misled you. ;-P

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's OK - I've divined that it's just condensed cigarette smoke, which is really quite harmless to electronics - in fact, it leaves a sort of film that helps protect the contacts from corrosion, but wipes clean effortlessly when a lead is inserted.

And anyway, I said "IF"! I have no intention of disassembling my Proto- Board! ;-) ;-)

Cheers! Rich

--
Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

I'd have to disagree about the smoke residue, it collects dirt and makes ribbon cables brittle as if prematurely aged. It gums the fans too.

I do agree that proto board disassembly is a BITCH due to the many rails. I would not be inclined to do so again but 20 years ago, my lab partner spilled his coke into the board and flushing it with DI water wasn't enough.

Reply to
Lord Garth

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:09:01 GMT, Rich Grise Gave us:

You could be a bit more lost, but not today.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:14:59 GMT, "Rich Grise, but drunk" Gave us:

That is bullshit. Just ask any old TV technician.

We now know why you are so brain addled, however. Nicotine constricted the blood vessels.

Utter f****ng bullshit.

Not likely to be an easy task anyway. Then, we would have to consider your aptitude for the task as well.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Well, I guess that's the wages for my sins. ;-P

OK, now that I think back, I have seen those little contact rail thingies - it was another protoboard - not the one in these pix, but a "naked" one - i.e., not mounted on a steel plate. The back was a sticker, like a mailing label, but glossy, and printed as if by photolith, and it peeled off surprisingly easily. The "back" or "bottom" or whatever you call that part of the contact rail thingies was - were just right there. I wouldn't be surprised if there's nothing but a sticky label between the ones on mine now and that steel plate. Anyway, once I'd peeled the label off, the little bus thingies just lifted right out.

I stuck it back together, and put it back into service, and it served me well, until that time I had to abandon everything, but that's a different story. )-;

But, all seriousness aside, :-).

Thanks! Rich

--
Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

Yep, that's how they are built...except that the rails in mine didn't fall out, I had to pry them up. Also, it was 29 years ago...gad, the crap that stays in my memory.

Reply to
Lord Garth

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 03:21:05 GMT, "Rich Grise, but drunk" Gave us:

No. When those come along, it will be a lot more painful.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Is this particular post an example of how effectively you "ignore [my] retarded ass"?

Are you this good at other stuff that you do? Do you do any other stuff? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

--
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo Possum
Reply to

No, I said, "Show me". That means, _you_ show _me_, which you'd have known if you had been conscious in 4th grade English.

You blow a lot of smoke, Roy, but you have nothing to back any of it up with but bluster.

Thanks, Rich

--
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo Possum
Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

from

;-)

...................Only if it involves rubber chickens!

Reply to
ian.field1

For a new definition of TMI, let's give Richard a big hand (pun not intended... oh well actually it was. :)

Reply to
onehappymadman