AAAARRRRGH! #28 stranded ribbon-cable wire -> protoboard? Hah!

(the point is to bus all of the even-numbered wires to ground.)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

why not solder all of them in a line across a piece of solid wire, and plug the two ends of than into the proto board?

Reply to
John Popelish

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:33:35 -0500, John Popelish Gave us:

Naaaahhh... that would be too much like the way that the rest of the world does it... :-]

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Hi, Rich. Let's assume for the sake of discussion you have a 20-pin ribbon cable. Here's what I've done in the past, after looking at this same depressing problem too many times:

1) Terminate your ribbon cable with an IDC connector.

2) Scrounge a piece of perfboard at least as wide as the IDC connector, with three hole-per-pad layout. Cut the perfboard so the dividing line between two lines of pads runs down the middle laterally.

3) Using 24AWG wire, jumper across from one line of pads to the other, leaving the closest holes on each side of the dividing line open (in the diagram below, the jumpers go from the top "X" to the bottom "X"). Have the jumpers extend a few tenths of an inch down from the bottom side of the board.

4) Solder the jumpers onto the perfboard. Now, using sheer cutters, cut the jumpers off flush at the top of the board. You should have two lines of leads coming down from the solder side of the perfboard.

5) Now, solder in a mating IDC receptacle on the perfboard. In the diagram below, it should be in the holes marked "o". 1 19 .---------------------. | X X X X X X X X X X --Jumper Leads | | | | | | | | | | | | | o o o o o o o o o o | | \\ IDC receptacle | o o o o o o o o o o / | | | | | | | | | | | | | X X X X X X X X X X --Jumper Leads '---------------------' 2 20 \\ \\ Perfboard (created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05

You now have an IDC connector you can easily insert into a protoboard,

0.3" spacing just like a thru-hole IC, and you can automatically plug one end into a bussed line of the protoboard to have your interleaved GND.

I've got a few of these lurking around, and dig them up when I need them for ribbon cable to protoboard work (if you take care of them, you'll only have to make them once).

Glad to 'ave been of 'elp, sir. Again, thanks for "coming down from heaven" to enlighten us groundlings. Always a pleasure.

And "keep up the skeer" on s.e.d. ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris

With ribbon cable, one could use an IDC connector, and all of the even numbered wires are then on one row and the odd numberes wires are on the other row...

Reply to
Robert Baer

I had thought of that, but when I tried to set it up, whether one wire at a time or as a batch, it got to looking like a PITA, so I decided to at least give the protoboard a shot. But the little #28 wires, even tinned, aren't stiff enough. I guess I'll have to do the soldering. :-/

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yeah, in fact, I'm exploiting that - the other end does have the IDC connector, and I'm plugging it into a single-row header. For the end in the pic, I don't have an IDC connector unless I take apart some old cable. And then I'd have to go from the IDC connector to the protoboard anyway. :-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You just have to be smarter than the breadboard! ;-)

And, yeah, there's a lot of ego there: "Well, I'll show THEM! Solder to a bus wire, indeed! When I have this beautiful, expensive (if a little shopworn) solderless breadboard? Never!" ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:37:20 GMT, Rich Grise Gave us:

Solder pins on the ends of them. OR tin them RIGHT, and insert them vertically, not bent as you show in the photo, THEN bend it over.

The best way is to bus them on a bare copper strip, or WIRE, and insert a single wire into your vector board, etc.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

The point was, I was trying to insert it vertically, but it bent under the pressure before it slipped between the connector's labia. ;-)

It's OK - I've got them all inserted now, and am snitching 3.3V power from the development board that this will be plugging into. A certain client lent me a Xilinx XC9572XL development board and software, and I've been itching to find an excuse to get into it - The part of the client's project this was suppposed to be for got either back-burnerized, superseded, or he's waiting to see what I can do with this thing before he actually gives me the assignment. :-) I'm a little hampered lately, because I only have the one computer and the Xilinx stuff only runs on Windows, unless maybe Wine, but that's a whole nother project in itself.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

They make IDC connectors that go to pins with .300" DIP spacing.

This is the first quick thing I found on google:

Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

If you are going to do some programming of Xilinx CPLDs and you try their version ISE 7.1 software for Windows, MAKE SURE you also install the service pack updates to get to 7.1.04. There is a bug in the 7.1 version that causes the CPLD outputs to be inverted. Xilinx has a page somewhere that explains this problem, but the only way to find it is to already know that the problem exists. They have no notice on the download page for

7.1 that you need the 04 update if you are using CPLDs.

Or you could try the new version 8 software, but who knows if that actually works either.

I found out about this when I recently programmed a XC9536 to control a stepper motor, and I couldn't figure out why the output sequence was wrong, even though it worked perfectly in simulation. So I figured I'd try something simple and just put a 4 bit counter in. It counted in some weird sequence where every second number was inverted and off by one. Because of the inversion problem the counter would take the current output, add one, then invert that and put it out on the pins. Next time it would do the same thing. So it was right half the time. I only figured out the problem after posting to comp.arch.fpga and someone there knew about it.

By the way, I thought Xilinx had a linux version of ISE. I seem to remember people on comp.arch.fpga discussing how to get the parallel download cable and their programming software working on linux...

Carl

Reply to
Carl Smith

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 19:16:24 GMT, Rich Grise Gave us:

You use retarded terms in your technical discussions. You gotz issues. If you want to be technical, be technical. If you want to be an adolescent idiot that claims to be technical, it won't ever work... EVER.

A properly tinned 28 ga wire will insert in such locations just fine. If the wire is ten years old, and doesn't even accept a tinning correctly, you will see it fold under stress. If it is a new wire, then your soldering skills need honing, and the sexual comics need to be extricated. They are muddling your mind.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 19:16:24 GMT, Rich Grise Gave us:

It is hard to believe that someone that refers to cinch actuators as "labia" can actually understand and maintain a Linux computer.

What you need to do is get a dual boot machine set up. Away go all platform dependent problems at that point.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

--
Nicely said.
Reply to

I'm glad I heard about this - I did install their latest service pack, but don't know if it's 7.1.04 or not - I'll have to check.

Not Me! ;-)

I guess I'll have to spend some time lurking there.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

What a bunch of tight-asses! Lighten up a bit - it's a _hobby_ project!

Sheesh!

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ah, there are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamed of in your philosophy, Horatio. ;-P

I not only have a dual-boot machine set up, but when I boot Windoze I've got myself cut off from the internet so I don't get viruses and crap.

So I can only do either-or, currently.

And why do you have to be so huffy about it?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Labia is the plural of labium, meaning a lip or lip like structure - it is only a sexual reference when used in a sexual context.

Reply to
ian.field1

Yup. Although I usually hear those springy metal bits called "fingers" or "leaves", neither of which is cognate with labia, I had no trouble understanding Rich's post...

--
   Wim Lewis , Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
Reply to