5 in 1 Jumpstarter

In the Sprotsman's Guide, I saw a "5 in 1 Jumpstarter," that has an air compressor, , 12 Volt Power Inverter, as well as a 12 VDC, 17 Ah sealed, lead acid-free battery (as well as a few other things) -- all for $79.00.

I am just wondering ==> would this be sufficient for powering my macerator (for those of you who have been following my posts)?

Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
mea305

Perhaps. Until you post exact specs on the macerator, including the start-up current it needs, a definitive answer about the various power sources you have mentioned is difficult.

That said, why don't you use the solution (the vehicle battery) that has been mentioned repeatedly?

Low capacity (17 Ah) SLA batteries are not the best choice for this. They are designed to provide a few amps for a relatively long time.

An automobile battery is designed to deliver huge current for relatively brief periods - just what your macerator needs. (Except the macerator does not need nearly as much current as a car starter motor needs.) If you don't want to use the vehicle battery, go with one of the other suggestions: someone suggested you could buy a battery in reasonably good condition for about $10.00 from an auto wrecker, or you could scrounge a used battery from a car mechanic. A battery that can no longer start a car reliably often has plenty of capability for a much smaller load like your macerator. I use a scrounged auto battery to start my generator with no problem.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Ed has given you the best advice, I think. I know it's a bit of a pain to put a car battery in cramped quarters, but if you have any ventilation in the area, and you take care to cover the terminals to prevent accidental shorts, you will be OK.

If I could add sonething, I would guess you're not going to be running the macerator continuously. You might want to consider putting an automotive trickle charger in parallel with the battery to make this a "going" proposition. If you're not going to be running the macerator continuously, you might find that a small tricle charge (actually, the lower, the better) will top off the battery after use, and can be kept on while the motor is running, too.

I would think the lowest cost, reliable solution is probably the best. Then let it run and move on with other stuff.

Best of luck to you, sir.

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris

Generally, no. These help 'push' the existing battery to start the car but are not suited to run a steady load for a period.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson