12v auto pump from 110v?

And they get hot, too. You'd think that the pump designer would at least use the pumped liquid to cool down the motor. Naah...

Reply to
mrdarrett

So, which do you want? Super efficient, or something that will work when your life depends on it?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Your life depends on misting your terrarium???!? =:-O

Cheers! Rich [0] ;-)

Reply to
Rich Grise

In that case, better get someone with medical experience... oh, Joerg!

So, which does he want... efficient, reliable, or inEXPENSIVE?

;-)

Reply to
mrdarrett

seems

it

Why is everyone ignoring my yard-mister/valve-body/transformer approach? It's cheap-cheap-cheap and safe-safe-safe!

...Jim Thompson

seems

it

I'm not ignoring it - I just liked mine better. ;-)

(That would be an aquarium filter pump and hacked Windex nozzle(s), pretty much as you suggest, but less clunky. [and more fun to slap together. ;-) ])

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

seems

or it

It likely is, great idea, but it's not clear whether the OP minds stringing a garden hose from his backyard into his living room.

Never mind the heating and cooling costs of leaving his backyard door open a crack, at all times...

;-)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

seems

or it

He's carrying buckets of water to his terrarium?

Surely he has a water pipe close by?

Actually I carry water to my aquarium... R/O water, since it's a reef tank, and I have no way to get a feed to it... interior wall. But it only eats 3 2-gallon-buckets-worth per week (since I added the chiller ;-)

...Jim Thompson

electrics seems

brick. or it

Um, you lose 6 gallons per week even in the fall / winter months?

Slow leak?

Reply to
mrdarrett

Wall warts ONLY handle currents up to about 1 Amp - MAX. That wiper motor is a current hog (more than a Wal Wart can handle!!) --

burn that up or blow internal fuse (if it has one) first time you try.

gb

Reply to
w9gb

electrics seems

brick. or it

Room temperature is ~75°F, humidity is essentially ZERO... this IS Arizona after all. Tanks is 250 gallons. Any other questions ?:-)

Tank WAS rising to 84°F, due to the lighting, until I added a "chiller" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Mcmaster has nozzels for misting etc.

Martine Riddle

Um, not to give the op hope, but ... See cat# dctx 1215 from

for a 1.5 amp 12 volt wall wart and cat # 16760 from
for a 2 amp 12 volt wall wart.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

If you already have the wiper pump, you can use an interim solution to run it until you re-design. Use the wall wart to trickle charge some NiCds and run the auto wiper pump from that. The NiCds will provide the high current that the wiper pump needs, and the charger will replenish them between pump cycles.

----- Wall Wart +15V ---Vin|LM317|Vout---+ ----- | Adj [R1] | | +----------+-->|--+------> to | pump [NiCd's] circuit | Gnd --------------------------------------+------>

R1 = 1.25/(C/20) where C is the ampere hour rating of your cells. That should be more than enough to charge the cells between cycles. For example, say your cells are rated at 1000 mAh. At C/20, you would put in a total of 480 mAh in a day, and due to losses, the batteries would store 80% of that, or ~384 mAh. If you discharge for 1 minute 3 times a day at say 7 amps each time, you use 21 ampere minutes or 350 mAh hours.

Have you figured out how to get a mist from that wiper pump? To me, that's a harder problem than figuring out how to provide power for the pump.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

The designed life is probably an hour or two. But it shouldn't burn out when someone mistreats it. Which includes continuous 'pumping' when out of fluid.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Yes, these are OLD surplus designs -- new mfg. are generally now avoiding (that is why they are on the surplus web sites/resellers). They usually do not stay in the duplex outlet without screw attachment to cover plate. Readily available 1 and 2 foot line cord jumpers --- help with this problem. These older designs stretched the definition of WallWart -- due to transformer's weight !

New ones are more "brick like" with short AC cord OR use standardized IEC jack.

gb

gb

Reply to
w9gb

The new stuff is nice. It seems like most everything new is going to switchers. I suspect one of the factors is the weight you mentioned. Take a look at the wall wart switchers like Mouser part #'s

418-TR25120-04 2.1Amps 418-TR30R120 2.5Amps 831-PW128RA1203B01 2.5Amps 552-PSA-15R-120-R 1.25Amps 552-PSA-21R-120-R 1.67Amps

Allelectronics sells a switcher wall wart at 2.6 amps, cat # PS-1226

For non-switcher new wall warts > 1 amp see Mouser part #'s

553-WDU12-1200 1.2Amps 553-WDU12-1900 1.9Amps

A lot of choices > 1 amp, but not necessarily suitable for the OP. I suspect not. I posted a different possibility for the OP.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Back to the original problem. If you want to pump mist into a terrarium, how about a perfume atomizer driven by an aquarium air pump? Or, for real tech overkill, an ultrasonic nebulizer?

Reply to
Stephen Rush

Get a battery charger and plug it into the wall. Connect the pump to the charger.

Reply to
Seymour Dupa

Absolutely, it's possible. But the first thing you need to know is how much current the pump draws when it's pumping. Connect the pump to an auto battery and use your multimeter to measure the current. Buy a wall wart that puts out 12 - 14 volts DC. The current rating of the wall wart should be AT LEAST the current you measured being drawn by the pump. It's OK to go a bit higher than your measured current, but stay in the ballpark. IOW, if your pump draws 1 amp, get a wallwart with current rating of 1 amp to maybe 1.5 amps. If you get a regulated wallwart, the current rating doesn't matter as long as it's at least 1 amp (as in the example).

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Some days you\'re the dog, some days the hydrant.
Reply to
DaveM