House meter question

I noticed if you hammer a pipe into the earth ,,say in your yard,,and connect a wire to that,,and use that as the negative wire,,then connect a wire to the positive of an ac outlet in your home,,the meter shows it as around 110 volts but at a much lower amperage,,but it will still light up a 100 watt light bulb but dimly. So I was wondering would using the ground wire connected to a pipe in the yard,,does this bypass the house meter and its hall effect working principal? Meaning what small amount is here if used would not show up on the meter. Since its not going back threw the house ac positive and negative outlet? Does the hall effect in a meter work by both positive and negative connected threw and backfeeding into the meter? Or does the hall effect work only threw the hot wire only?

Reply to
jennings7487

Having seen the insides of my meter, I can say that the "ground" (neutral) wire is not actually connected to the meter, so using an earth ground shouldn't make a difference.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Hmmm.. unless, of course, it's using the mounting itself as a connection. Mine at least didn't have the big spade lugs for neutral like it did for the two hots.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

If it was that easy to rip off the energy company, millions would be doing it. The current in the hot wire will run the meter and you will be billed.

The dim light is due to ground resistance. Drive more rods and you will get a brighter light.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Until one goes through the gas line, then BOOOOM!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Because the ground is a poor conductor. This is a very hazardous thing to do.

Nope. Meter still runs and you pay for less light.

You got it. Don't do this.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson