Dual Output Wall Wart?

Does anyone make a wall wart with dual outputs, say ±12V or ±15V?

...Jim Thompson

Mouser.com has a wide range of AC adapters, including:

John Popelish

Hate to state the obvious here, but when I need both + and -, I just buy one with AC out and take it from there....

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Or, if one is in a hurry, one could use a pair of warts. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

We use one that's +5 and +-12, Phihong or something. Actually, it's not literally a wall wart but a plastic brick with a regular IEC line cord, like a laptop power supply.

John

I'd be really leery of a mini-DIN for output - I bought an ethernet switch off ebay once, and it came with a "cord wart" with at least two outputs, and a mini-DIN connector on a cable that was stiffer than a VGA cable. It was almost impossible to get it plugged in right, and some of the pins had already be bent. The switch finally died, but I still have the supply: input: 100~240VAC 50~60Hz, max 1.0A output: +5VDC,.7a; +3.3VDC,3.0A

I suppose it'll sit in my junque box until I start making stuff with 3.3V logic. :-)

Or, if somebody wants to drive to Whittier to pick it up, I have a bunch of other junque I haven't used in a year or more, like computer fans from dead computers and stepper motors from dead printers and stuff.

Cheers! Rich

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I just want plug-n-play ;-)

...Jim Thompson

One off, or for production?

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Elpac. Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied, and Newark carry them. Have been using their linear wall-warts for 15 years for noise-sensitive analog test equipment. Extremely reliable, but not cheap. The +/- 15V model (WM071-1950-D5) can be hard to find. I use their WM113S the most. Its output cable is shielded and connects to the power input ground pin, very rare in a wall wart. They make some really tiny 5V switcher wall warts too.

Steve Noll | The Used Hi Tech Equipment Dealer Directory: |

| Peltier Information Directory: |

Steve Noll

zillions of wall warts at surplus traders.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Thanks, Steve! That looks perfect!

...Jim Thompson

I recently purchased an external USB harddrive with the same type of connector and I have also had to straighten pins. This was +5 and +12.

Reply to
Spokesman

We use triple-output wall-worts by Ault: +/-12V and +5V, with a defacto-standard 5-pin circular DIN connector.

Actually, quite a few companies make multiple-output wall-wort and cable-wort power supplies using this DIN connector. Looking at a male plug, starting with pin 1 to the right: pins 1 and 2 are ground (pin 2 is in the middle on top), and pin 3 on the left is +5. This is the setup for the +5-only supplies. Pins 4 and 5 are nestled to the right and left of pin 2, are - and +12V.

Although this is a common setup, but nobody offers +/-15 instead of +/-12 in the triple-supply modules, that I've been able to find.

A common complaint with the 5-pin DIN connector on these wall-warts is intermittent connections as they age, or even when new, which we traced to inferior female jacks (one can push the split-receptacle back together, ugh!). But the 5-pin DIN is a VERY widely-used connector, e.g. millions for the original IBM PC keyboards, and hundred of thousands for MIDI signaling, etc., and hopefully with a little perseverance you can find higher-quality jacks.

Ahem, just be sure not to settle for the cheap ones! Here are a few 5-pin DIN socket parts to consider.

manuf, part number distributor, p/n comments ------------------ ---------------- ------------- Amphenol T3359-009 Newark 16F6818 panel, circular, solder Preh * 71206-051 Farnell 308950 panel, flange, solder Preh 71251-050 Farnell 437396 square flange, PCB 90 Preh 71252-050 Farnell 437359 panel, flange, PCB Deltron 650-0500 Farnell 148500 panel, circular " Newark 69K6137 Deltron 651-0500 Farnell 1193830 same, but black " Newark 69K6145 Deltron 630-0500 Farnell 147699 panel, flange " Newark 69K6126 CUI, Inc SDF-50J Digi-Key CP-7050 square flange, PCB 90 CUI SD-50SN Digi-Key CP-1250 panel, flange, solder

# Some of these sockets offer a locking feature, which must be matched with standard locking plugs.

  • web-site statement: "The most popular standard for small circular connectors for the last half of the 20th century has been the been the German DIN standard. Created by Preh and the Duetch Industrie Norm [DIN] in the 1950's, the circular DIN connector spec has been accepted world- wide as the connector of choice for industries ranging from computers to medical electronics to pro audio."

The DIN standards are 41524, 45322, 45326, 45327 and 45329. Does anybody know a website where these can be obtained?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hello Win,

Typically sold at rather stiff prices with strong copyright notices everywhere. I had to pay about $200 for my copy of IEC601-1. Ouch. What made me really mad is that they could have done it for half if some wouldn't have insisted on bilingual print English/French.

Anyhow, since you are truly an MIT insider you should check your university library. I would be surprised if they didn't have the DIN standards or couldn't get them at least via library exchange. Much of these have been renamed and might now be an IEC standard (possibly with a different number suffix).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

I believe those are all switchers rather than linear regulators.

Also "wort"?

Bwahahahahaha!

...Jim Thompson

A "wall-wort" is kind of like a "shelf fungus" :-)

--
   Wim Lewis , Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
Reply to

Then a group of wall warts on a power strip, one switch convenience.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller

the exist a surplus of computer power supplies which will have

+5v..+12v ..computer shows or flea markets always have them..large and small profiles

Reply to
allana