yellow soup

Umm, what kind of cellar dirt?

John

--- Well, yes and no. Maybe.

The work done by Charles Valentine Riley and J. E. Planchon led to the use of grafting Vitis vinifera vine on Vitis labrusca root stock, of which the concord grape is a cultivar. This effort helped save the French (and, indeed, Europe's) wine industry and, for his efforts, Riley received the French Grand Gold Medal and was named a Chevalier of the Legion of Honor in 1884.

V. labrusca has quite a wide geographic distribution:

But try as I might, I couldn't find anything which tied the concord grape's origin as native to New England.

Can you?

--- JF

Reply to
John Fields

The kind where the "fruit room" has a sand floor and half-a-dozen ancient, empty wine casks and smells kind of like mildew.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Cheap rum maybe.

John

So *that's* why French wines are overrated, overpriced, battery acid :-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

That's what I meant - grape plants, vines, or whatever they're called.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

How come you know what cellar dirt tastes like?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

--- Well, OK, but in any case it wasn't rootstock from California which did the trick, (California was planted mostly with uninfected Vitis vinifera from Europe) it was Vitis labrusca rootstock from the eastern US onto which was grafted the French Vitis vinifera.

Interestingly, it turns out that the Great French Wine Blight was caused by an American grape aphid, Phylloxera, which was unknowingly exported with American vines bound for Europe.

The damage it did was by sucking sap out of the V.vinifera roots while injecting a toxin which killed the roots and eventually, the entire vine.

If that kind of thing interests you, it's a facinating story and you can read about it at:

--- JF

Reply to
John Fields

Well, I _was_ a kid once....

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Le Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:35:54 -0700, John Larkin a écrit :

Ok.

We call it cubitainer in here in France which is most likely a English word ... There's just one problem with this kind of container, the wine get aged too quickly and you must have drunk it in the week. this is just what you need when you are inviting the most meritant engineers in this very ng. ;-)

Habib.

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

I alwasy thought it tasted like Coca Cola

Reply to
GregS

Tough luck ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

No, it's fine. More than one woman at a time confuses me.

John