TV output going yellow

Our older projection television is looking visibly yellow. Sometimes it fixes itself and then returns to yellow.

Is this a gun problem or a chip on the motherboard that's easily fixed? It's an older Magnavox 52". I'm retired and really can't afford a new tv.

Thanks.

Reply to
ray

Always same shade of yellow ?, jumps from good/bad/good or drifts between states ?

N_Cook

It jumps from good/bad/good but is staying more bad now so it may be getting worse. Color adjustments aren't helping, unfortunately, as well as different sources ie... dvd, vcr, cable. Whatever it is, it's after the source inputs. It's a three gun rear projection unit (quite large) and has always worked well, up until now. We bought it in 1991 so it's 18 years old. My crappy old pension doesn't allow me to replace it so I hope a fix isn't too costly, otherwise we'll have to watch yellow programming from now on.

Thanks.

Reply to
ray

Move the speakers or other electronic device you just put on top or next to it.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to

The vcr and dvd have been on it for at least five years and the one lone speaker behind it has been there since we bought it in 1991 (the other speaker sits across the room behind the stereo stand). Would these affect it now, after all these years?

Reply to
ray

yellow is red plus green. Blue is weak or cutting out.

AZ Nomad

Yep, this is right. Look inside the projector unit: is this a three- CRT type, with a red, green, blue trio of tubes? The solder joints at/near the connectors to the base (the narrow end of the neck) of the blue tube, and at any power driver transistors on the associated circuit board, are the most likely culprits. Second thing to check is adjustment pots (if one is dirty, moving it a little back and forth will clear up the problem).

Reply to
whit3rd

Oh boy!

Reply to
Meat Plow

If the TV is "fixing" itself, and the problem comes and goes, I'd say you have a bad solder joint, or connector, or dirty internal control. This will require the services of a repair shop to track it down, but it is fixable. On the other hand, a new LCD TV wont cost much more than the repair, and the hassle of getting it to the shop and back home. And since the TV is 18 years old, if you get it fixed after hauling it to the shop and back home, whats going to fail next? And the bill for the current fault will be considerable. If it were me, (and it was a year ago..failing TV, low income, elderly), I applied for and got a Wal-Mart credit card with an $800 limits. On the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday), I bought a 42" LCD TV from wallyworld, $700.00, no interest if paid off within 18 months. I'm making payments (its almost paid off within a year) and enjoying my new HD TV.

42" LCD HDTVs are even cheaper now, almost a year later.

Your TV is repairable, but get some estimates, and explore ALL your options. If you choose the repair option, set spending limits before any work is done.

Deke

Reply to
Deke

Thank you so much for all your comments and replies. I will try to get the set repaired and, at least, have something to go on.

I know the newer sets are getting cheaper but my 4x3 52" set seems so nice and large (screen-wise) and the 52" 16x9 LCDs look so tiny (almost like a

26" set) in comparison. The 16x9 ratio really sucks down on the viewing size of the screen, doesn't it. The numbers may be the same but the visual aspect is so different. It looks like I would need a 100" LCD to get a similar size picture as my old set. I like the 4x3 aspect ratio better, but I guess that shows my age (70+).

Thanks again, everyone. Ray

Reply to
ray

Move your Lazy Boy closer to the set.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Heres part of a comparison chart I used. The left column is the "old" TVs, right column is 16:9...to get the same 4:3 picture size in the left column, you'll need the screen size in the right column. 4:3 16:9 ___________________ 27 33

32.7 40 36 44 52.3 64

And you CAN move your chair closer if youre watching HDTV. I went from 16 feet away watching a 60" SD Pioneer, to 8 feet away watching my 42" HDTV. I'm happy, altho the increase in picture quality of the HDTV did drive me to get new glasses. LOL.

Deke

Reply to
Deke

news:h8pe0r$6qh$ snipped-for-privacy@Kil-nws-1.UCIS.Dal.Ca...

The blue signal is obviously dropping out intermittantly. Do the usual checking for dry joints, & fix any you find. Your odds of fixing it that way are fairly good.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter