xilinx virtex2 ISP using hc12

Hello i started last year to work(play?) with a 16bit 9s12 microcontroller,having some surplus scraped xc2v2000 fpga's and a little experience in vhdl i would like to use these fpga but i need some external memory for storing permanently the configuration data. Due to impossibility of realizing a PCB to mount a flash and the lot of connections,i think if it is possible to use the 9s12 to program the fpga.I would like to use it because having a good programmer with in -circuit debugger i could check if the system is working in correct manner during development phase. Any ideas? Thank you.

Diego Milano Italy

Reply to
blisca

Sure. We always program our FPGAs from a uP, since all of our products have a uP anyhow.

You'll need some way to merge the Xilinx bitstream data into your uP program image, then you'll need to write a simple routine to reset the fpga, un-reset it (PROGB pin), and then bit-bang the config data into it, slave serial mode, using CCLK and DIN pins. It's fairly simple.

I have a PowerBasic program that builds a uP rom inage from an S28 program file and a .RBT config file, and a bit-banger in 68K assembly, available as examples if nothing else.

Be sure to terminate CCLK at the fpga, as they are very sensitive to ringing, and bit-bang an extra 32 bits of anything, for luck.

John

See XAPP800 (registration required) at Xilinx. This uses a CoolRunner to bitbang a FPGA using a SPI flash for storage, but the bit bang VHDL is straightforward and could easily be ported to your architecture and language of choice.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

thank you to you both for the good support and hints!

Reply to
blisca