Getting started with Xilinx CPLD

Hello,

I have a need for something faster than a microcontroller and decided on using logic IC's to do it. Well I don't need to say why I next decided to use programable logic instead. I've have never used a PLD before. After visting Xilinx web site I ordered the CPLD Design Kit to get started.

Lets see know, all I have to do is program my logic schematic into one of these CPLD devices! Wow, after that I might find the state machine entry of intrest. And... after I'm an advanced user I could learn a new language called VHDL. Now wait a minute... How come the Xilinx tutorial starts with the advanced VHDL first? OK, I'll skip over to the next tutorial "State Machines". Well, I don't need that yet. OK, the next tutorial uses schematic entry. Oh no, this tutorial requires the previous tutorials. It seems to me that Xilinx has it all backwards on how one starts using programable logic for the first time.

Next I bought a book on ebay "Digital Electronics - Using the Xilinx XC95108 CPLD" copyright 2001. This is perfect!! Its first CPLD example uses a 3 input AND gate and a 3 input OR gate. The problem is that it uses Xilinx foundation 1.5 which is nothing like ISE 6.3i that I have. So my question is where can I get Xilinx foundation 1.5 ???

Reply to
rjs

[snip]

forget that!

Just instal ISE WebPack, start schematic editor, place your logic, and run synthesis! Then to make it really work you only need to assing pins to correct pads thats it.

Antti

avrbasic

Don't bother, get the latest WebPack. I've got an introduction to using Xilinx CPLDs on my web site:

with a simple design that uses WebPack.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Hello,

1.) on our pages You will find some Xilinx CPLD related example designs, see "eMOD-d" (CPLD) and "eLABbase" (FPGA), including schematics and VHDL code, starting with AND and OR, FlipFlop, switch debouncing, ending up in building a 24h RTC with a 9572xl. Sources are free for none commercial use.

2.) On our dlk / eLAB - link database You will find links to CPLD / FPGA / VHDL / IP-cores / tools / 8051 / AVR ..... topics

with best regards,

Peter Seng

############################# SENG digitale Systeme GmbH Im Bruckwasen 35 D 73037 Goeppingen Germany tel +49 7161 75245 fax +49 7161 72965 eMail snipped-for-privacy@seng.de net

Peter Seng