Liquid Gallium with which to play

Those several gallium-sellers suddenly vanished off eBay.

Gallium's somewhat expensive. I'd still not ordered any for play time. S upposedly paint it on glass for instant 1st-surface mirrors. Can I vacuum- bend a glass sheet, for a crude Newtonian with a several-meters FL? Get th e stuff all over skin and clothing? (Liquid gallium: it's not mercury!)

Holy crap, the price came down to around $30 for a quarter pound! Not on e Bay, but several sources are on Amazon.

I just got my order today. The package says "metal rod." Yeah, as long a s the room temp is low.

Reply to
Bill Beaty

Weird behavior: gallium is soft like a solder ingot, and after cutting off shavings with a razor knife, I find small liquid spots in the original ch unk. Even the smallest scratches with the knife have expanded into ~1mm m elted stripes. Touch the solid surface w/tip of bent paperclip. A minute later a 1mm melted patch appeared at that spot.

Was this caused by warm steel? No, the spots remained liquid for at least an hour. They finally did solidify later, but each small spot is now raise d above the original surface, as if it expanded significantly upon freezing . When I then warm the ~20g chunk in my hand, those spots melt within 30se c, but the rest remains solid. When melted, they're again at the same leve l as surrounding surface.

Apparently a very small iron percentage is decreasing the gallium melt temp by a few degrees. Not totally unexpected. But the volume change during m elt/freeze of iron-contaminated material is very odd.

And no, it doesn't seem to work as magic metal mirror-paint. At least not with new untouched microscope slides. Perhaps I'd have to torch the glass first, to bake out surface moisture.

Reply to
Bill Beaty

On a sunny day (Tue, 19 Jan 2016 23:51:03 -0800 (PST)) it happened Bill Beaty wrote in :

I ws thinking about gallium-arsenide

supposed to be a semi conductor. The wikipedia article describes several ways to make it. I am no chemist, so dunno how make that, neither do I care about glowball worming, the warmer the better over here, icy roads just now:

Maybe make your own transistor?

Yea, NASA artist impressions of life on other planets will have to do for now, but they did grow a flower on the ISS. Wonder how those flowers figure 'up' in zero gravity, maybe those just go for the light. Zero gravity bees would be interesting too ;-) NASA?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hey, is that green I spy beyond the sidewalk?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On a sunny day (20 Jan 2016 02:50:58 -0800) it happened Winfield Hill wrote in :

Yes that is a hedge in front of somebodies garden:

We had the warmest year on record here IIRC. Some plants started early, but now it was freezing for the first time. Had snow too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

very odd.

Real gallium is pretty reactive, and so gets a scum of oxide pretty rapidly . Yours might have bismuth in it, or something like that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There's the trusty ol' Wikipedia for finding out stuff:

Gallium expands 3.1% upon solidification (don't store in a glass bottle). It also has a tendency to supercool. And it sticks to skin:

As far as coating glass is concerned, it works. Tried it decades ago. You have to rub a lot.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

Ditto in the UK. Potatoes I'd missed lifting decided that spring had arrived in mid-December. They are currently 12" tall with full leaves. I wonder if they will survive through February.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You can buy GaAs wafers for maybe $50, polished and doped. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Or perhaps go down to Home Depot and buy a gallon of hydrofluoric acid to etch it. Seriously. Apparently "Whink iron stain remover" is 2% HF. Don't get any inside your rubber gloves.

Reply to
Bill Beaty

Or inhale it. Do you need a respirator for 2%? The boiling point is probably over 150F but still it would evaporate.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso