WTD: WWVB receiver

I am looking for WWVB receiver to add to an existing product.

I found at Digikey: 561-1005-ND

This receiver module: C-MAX CME8000-BUS-LP-01

Are there other modules like this but cheaper. I am looking for 50-100 units.

Clocks with receivers in them cost $10. So these modules must be cheap somewhere.

Any links to offshore sites would work.

Thanks

donald

Reply to
Donald

It's the same like it is with LCD modules. A module will always be somewhat of a boutique part and thus expensive. Considering your low quantity the only way I see is buying a clock and parting it out. But you'd have to weigh your engineering time against that effort and quite frankly I believe then these modules would be the better deal. With some luck you could find a fire sale somewhere but searching for that also costs valuable time.

The only way to get below a few Dollars is to design it all from scratch and then produce a gazillion of them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I was afraid of that. :-(

donald

Reply to
Donald

Find out who the maker is, and contact the disties; pricing will always be better than DigiKey..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Worse, in fact. LCD modules are actually used in relatively high+ volume products (I can see several of them in commercial products without getting out of my desk chair). If you wanted to duplicate the functionality you'd need to add pretty much as many parts as are on the module-- there is no micro in them, and really little or no duplication.

You can be sure there is no such module inside a $10 retail product-- or rather the 'module' is (at best) a discrete chip for the receiver. At worst, it could be a corner of a chip.

They are probably designed around a single chip for the radio portion. There are still a few parts outside such as tuning fork crystal filters and passives, as well as the ferrite antenna. You can see the radio portion on the left-hand part of the module. The right-hand portion is what you probably don't need to buy if you already have a microcontroller in your product. So, find that ASIC (eg. from Temic nee Telefunken) and compare costs including amortized engineering time.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Anything wrong with these........

Of course I can't find a price list :-(

...Jim Thompson

That always makes me suspicious. Anyhow, this site talks about UKP30 for parts which is a whole lotta Dollars:

Ouch. Looks like buying an atomic clock at Walmart and parting it out is going to cost less. Mine had cost $19.95 plus tax.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Actually, sometimes there is. For example, when my trusty old HP-III printer died I parted out the LCD. Lo and behold it was a nice two-line version with a HD44780 compatible chip on there. Same in the old Toshiba fax (single-line). Same in the old Sanyo fax (two-line again). Sweet. Of course, they bought those by the gazillion. But now I don't have to wait for a Digikey order if I quickly need to pipe out some alphanumeric data. I could even do that in Japanese ;-)

Yep. Sometimes it is better to use a complete chip, disregard 90%+ of its innards and try to tap off a signal at one of its younger stages. I've done that a lot with radio comms chips where all I needed was the RSSA output.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Reliable reception of WWVB in many parts of the country is extremely difficult.

At the very least, a low noise area and an outdoor antenna might be needed.

I researched this in depth many decades ago and published an Experiments with WWVB story in RE, sometime areound 1974 or so.

The availability of 60 kHz tuning fork crystals for use as a system filter does help bunches.

But, generally, an ultra accurate PLL timebase should track the output, being corrected only during early morning hours.

The fact that the whole service is a second tier backwater tells you it sucks.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

August 1973. page 48-51

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

I did pretty good in August, 1974, using coherent AGC/detection, with an 8" diameter loop antenna wound inside a piece of 1/2" copper pipe (insulated couplers used to avoid shorted turn effects from the shield). (See the S.E.D page of my website.)

But I'll grant you that fluorescent lighting will do a number on your reception.

...Jim Thompson

Ahm, they have improved transmit power since then. Big time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Or, if you pick the right offshore factory, you could produce a Brazillion of them. ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

FWIW,

returns "about 557" hits.

But I'm wondering, how hard would it be to slap together an ordinary

60 KHz TRF receiver, and just look at its output? Decoding it, of course, would be left as an exercise for the student. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So have the local am noise sources. Even bigger time.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

A straight decode would likely be useless.

Instead, you would need a PLL that gets modified only when data is consistently valid.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

I can remember people in California telling me back then that WWVB was just not strong enough. Nowadays it is. Right in front of me is a WWVB clock that synchronizes every single night (it shows when it failed) except on rare occasions where a nightly thunderstorm hit the area. Ok, it took a while to find the "right" spot for the clock but then again the building is completely insulated with AL-backed fiber in all walls. Including some interior ones.

BTW the first set of batteries lasted a whopping five years. And this is a low cost edition ($19.95 at Sam's Club). If the OP would part one of those out he'd get a mighty fine WWVB receiver plus a humongous LCD display for other nice projects. Like a DVM that can be read at age 100 without glasses :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I live in Florida, and have several of these clocks hanging in my house. I also have an elcheapo watch that I bought about 5 years ago from WallyWorld for less than $5 (they were on clearance). All work perfectly, and all sync up every night. The watch syncs up perfectly even when I wear it to bed. The instructions say that in order to get a reliable signal, the watch should be oriented so that the top of the watch faces Boulder, CO. I have no idea which direction it's facing when I'm catching those serious ZZZs, but it never fails. And Florida is a bit further away from Boulder than California is... {:>) Had to replace the battery in the watch just before Xmas, so it lasted about 5 years. Not bad for $5.

Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer to the end, the faster it goes.
Reply to
DaveM

If you have the crystal or better yet two of them, not very. I did that back in high school since our geology teacher wanted the kids to listen to the signal. I used lots of plain old opamps and IIRC a couple of AF126. In them days opamps didn't have enough GBW, today you could do it with two. This was for 77.5kHz because it was a German school. You could see the signal nicely on a scope (from the physics lab) and this was at about 8:30am, not midnight. A crystal was in the "not affordable" category back then, so lots of LC.

The deal was sweet: I was forgiven all homework the previous day if I'd build the receiver.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

did your loop antenna have an internal 60Khz amp?

The Spectracom WWVB antenna (ferrite bar antenna) I used while at TEK had one in it,and I was able to use the (8161)system inside our office that had metallized window glass,and was chock full of fluorescent fixtures.

The amp was a simple transistor one(2 xstr,IIRC) using silver mica caps to BW-limit the amp.DC power was fed thru the coax.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik