Which surround receiver to buy?

G'day all I'm looking at buying a surround reciever and I'm after for a little advice as this is my first surround reciever purchase and I frankly don't trust the shop sales guys to know much.. The two models I'm tossing up between is the Pioneer VSX-516 and VSX-816. The 816 is substantially more expensive but I might be able to stretch it if it's worthwhile. I know that they're 6.1 and 7.1 but I'm only runnning stereo and will be for a while. The 816 had component in/outs (RGB) that the 516 lacked and also a whole bunch of svideo inputs wheras the 516 only has a few. I thought the idea was that the receiver became the central point of the system but the 516 seemed to lack the features to do this adequately. Money and time are tight in our household but I will spend more to make sure that I'm happy. If anyone has uggestions on another model from another manufacturer if someone thinks it has better value/features.

looking forward to some responses.

Thanks Mark

Reply to
Clubsprint

Hi Mark,

If money and time were tight in my household, and I had an OK stereo setup, I wouldn't be considering a surround amp at all - particularly as you seem to say your not going to use it as a surround amp anyway.

This aside, your observations are correct ... the VSX516 is what you would consider if your main priority is surround sound ... the 816 you pay extra for so that it can be the switching center of your AV setup.

If you were going to by and connect multiple equipment that had RGB capability (and this is the lowest connect for good/OK big screen stuff)then it is worthwhile .... but based on what you write I am not sure this is of any real interest to you.

MORE importantly: If you are buying this as the beginning of a many year setup that you slowly add to .... I would be buying an amp that has multiple HDMI inputs as this is where the vast majority of good home theater stuff will head.

Some stuff to think about and if your lucky someone will disagree with me and give you some more ideas.

Cheers

Chops

Reply to
Chops

Reply to
Jonno

Maybe because the majority of DVDs you can buy have DD and/or DTS surround sound encoded on it.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yep, that's how it normally works. Ideally no sound at all comes through the TV, the video and audio from every source (DVD, STB/PVR, Xbox/PS etc) goes into the receiver and it switches everything for you. That way you can throw away the remote for the TV.

to some responses.

The #1 requirement is to make sure you get one with the right number and type of audio/video input connectors to suit all your system components, both now and in the future. You'll regret getting anything else. They all sound the same, so don't buy hype in that area.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

No, not the Windows media pack! The open source MythTV is the way to go although it is not (yet) plug and play.

Reply to
David Segall

Well, the old Kenwood amp I've got I managed to get going this morning and it sounds fine with the Welling's I bought a couple of years ago (wish I'd bought the Dali's though). Stereo is fine for us as our house doesn't really lend itself to a surround setup anyway.

Man I'd completely forgotten HDMI. Now I've got the amp working we're a couple of years away from Big Screen Surround etc so ?I'll look at HDMI being a priority then. Thanks for your opinion/viewpoint as it's been invaluable. Mark

Reply to
Clubsprint

to some responses.

Umm Dave - I agree *mostly* with you, and yes *mostly* they all do sound the same ..... but not if you're contemplating the strathfield/XMS level .... better of to go JVC (if they still exist), Yamaha, Pioneer, ... yes THEY all sound the same.

An there *is* a noticeable difference when you goet into the reference level amps .... even in surround amps.

IMHO that is.

Chops

Reply to
Chops

I did a bunch of research on these a little while back and went with an Onkyo TX-SR604B (US model?). It has all the typical bells and whistles, lots of connectivity and two HDMI inputs. It doesn't up-convert the analog inputs to HDMI, but it's bigger brother the TX-SR674B does. I'm really happy with it so far.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

OK if its better. Anything is usually better than Microsoft's canned goods.

Reply to
Jonno

Problem its LINUX based. OK for some who know this stuff. But no time, ah, well I'll have to make some time. Linux or the antidote to Microsoft. It will hurt but you will get better.

Reply to
Jonno

How much out of interest?

Chops If you don't mind telling us.

Reply to
Chops

Cost? Around $300 US for the 604. Here's some happy people, well excet for one that couldn't read:

Anthony Fremont

read:

Onkyo TX-SR504S 7.1 Channel A/V Receiver is also a good deal if you do not need HDMI. Unless you have a 1080P wide screen you probably do not need HDMI and all the HDMI receivers will be obsolete in a few months anyway when HDMI 1.3 becomes available...

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

read:

Are you saying that a reciever with a HDMI passthough wont be able to passthough a 1.3 signal?

How come I can smell bullshit?

Chops

Reply to
Chops

I did not say that nor did I mean to imply it.

As I understand it, ( I am not an expert, I just read up a bit since I just bought one ) all a pass through does is "pass through". It is a glorified switch and the HDMI signal is not actually accessed by the receiver. You have to hook up the sound inputs back to the receiver from whatever generated or used the HDMI signal.

Since you could just directly connect the hdmi to the TV and since the original poster indicated that he was trying to save money it seems like something he does not have to buy now.

When HDMI 1.3 does come out in a few months and after a year or more when it is debugged then pass through will be obsolete because the receiver should be able to directly access the audio from the HDMI and you will not have video/ audio synchronization issues.

I cannot think of a tactful response.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

My receiver has no problem pulling audio out of the HDMI cable. My Linux MythTV box clearly identifies the Onkyo when X windows starts up and not my display device. So passthru must be a little more complex than a litteral wire. It's a layered series of negotiations and handshaking to get HDMI material from a source to the screen. When I put my receiver between the satellite box and the display, simply changing channels started taking longer with the increased handshaking. Fortunately, I've been lucky and all my HDMI stuff works together.

Outside of the convenience of having one cable for picture and sound, HDMI is a PITA.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont