World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder

[snip]

They've got bears in The Netherlands?

It is not enough to succeed.  Others must fail. -- Gore Vidal
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

They would have, if it hadn't been for NATO. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

How about a part number? Connectors without magnetics are usually smaller than the ones with magnetics. And the footprints tend to be slightly different as well.

I guess the Chinese send out an RFQ stating the sizes without further specs and another Chinese had connectors for sale which fit. Now the first Chinese got burned for having to rework 10000 pieces of a thru-hole connector (judging from the picture on Wikipedia) which isn't a fun job to do on a 6 layer board. I see very few decoupling caps on the component side of the board. I guess there are also components on the solder side of the board.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Well, when they said they used an x-ray machine, I figured they had eliminated the obvious visual inspection stuff (or they are complete idiots).

I wonder if there isn't some shifty Chinese parts house that has an unmarked look and fit replacements for an internal magnetics type just for pawning off on someone who doesn't write complete specs or do receiving inspections?

I'm guessing that the absence of P/Ns on the parts is already a means of shaving a fraction of a cent off each unit.

mv Windows /dev/null
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On a sunny day (Fri, 09 Mar 2012 10:46:01 -0800) it happened "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in :

Oh, yes, look up 'Artis'. No hunting allowed all year long though...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 09 Mar 2012 13:54:44 -0500) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

Does your book explain why?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thats probably the imagination of the journalist going wild. Or someone at Raspberry without any technical knowledge.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel