Windows XP startup question

Oh, OK. Then my problem moght be solved. Or solvable, anyhow. Thanks.

John

Way to go. No soldering, debugging, or anything. Put screws in wall, hang up, connect, then use the now freed up time to head to the lodge for a few breskys as Keith would have put it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If it's a gas furnace I sure hope it ain't :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That only runs after login. You can use the register editor to put it somewhere more safe (IIRC HKLM -> software ->microsoft ->windows

->run).

The best option however is to write a service. This will start as soon as Windows starts.

                     "If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Put a scripts in /etc/rc.d and create a symbolic link in each /etc/rcN.d, where N is the run level for which you want this to run.

Life is like an analogy.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Generalizations don't mean much.

John

Did you read the manual?

Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Only if you already have a compatible telephone interfaced thermostat:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- This telephone controller was designed to be used with most thermostats equipped with a telephone interface.

A special output provides unidirectional control (to the thermostat) with Aube technologies TH140-TH141 thermostats. An auxiliary output allows the simultaneous control of an additional charge such as water heater, lighting, etc.

Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In message , John Larkin writes

You need to look at srvany then. It registers a program as a service that will run with the credentials you tell it (including system).

There's also a nice utility program called NT Wrapper out there that does the same job, the free version will only let you configure one service but it might just be exactly what you need and it's simple to use.

Overkill but it's an excuse to buy hardware so grab it..

Sigh. It seems to be the general perception but for the size of the installed userbase, I suspect Windows is by far the best of the available operating systems for commodity desktop hardware. People like my mother have *never* had problems with Windows and I would suggest that's the case for the vast majority of users.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

In message , John Larkin writes

Registry was nicked from Novell. Blame them.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

In message , Spehro Pefhany writes

Or type 'control userpasswords2',in the start menu run box, click OK, clear the check in 'Users must enter a password to log on' box and it will ask you to specify a default user and password to log in automatically.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

On a sunny day (Fri, 25 Dec 2009 19:03:18 -0700) it happened "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in :

Yes, way to go in Linux, but the poor guy is running windows :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yeah, Microsoft stole everything they ever did.

The whole thing should have been text files.

John

But PowerBasic almost make up for it!

John

I don't believe John said that M$ invented it (or anything else for that matter), but that it was a stupid idea. "Nicking" a stupid idea is smart?

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Sat, 26 Dec 2009 08:02:53 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I will never deny the power of BASIC, after all I did a lot with BASIC on the Synclair ZX80 and ZX81. And I did drivers for the IBM PC in BASIC for ISA cards I designed, the software department would then translate it into asm to speed it up.

But these days nothing beats C for portability and speed of development in my view. Just the fact that the Linux kernel is written in C (apart from some very small pieces), made it possible to port it to almost any processor and platform that exists. That includes small embedded systems. Suppose you wanted to port to ARM or MIPS...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

With the app they belong to. To move an app simply change the path. It would make backup a snap.

Reply to
krw

"Well that's something we shall have to remedy."

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

The simplest method is to write the app so that it looks for other instances of itself already running, and then exits. You can do that with a lockfile (which actually works better on Windows than on Linux, since the file system semantics are a lot crisper).

Alternatively, have a launcher app that runs as a scheduled job (say every 10 minutes), checks to see whether the main app is running, and launches it if it isn't. That gives you some crash protection too.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Its not the app language, its the platform's OS.

The whole issue seems to be around how to get something to run, once, at boot-up. That's a trivial task on *NIX systems. Not so on Windows (whatever flavor one happens to be running).