windows grrrrrr

Oh, I've done that. One drags the source folder onto the program icon, and then it prompts for the destination. As Jasen pointed out, you don't have to type the destination... you can drag it into the prompt.

What I'm doing now is tweaks to check that the source and destination actually exist, and to create the dest if necessary. XCOPY, and Windows in general, is ambiguous as to whether a filespec is a file or a folder, so there are several cases to handle. It needs some testing for all those cases. I plan to have it bail on file copies, only folders and drives allowed.

XCOPY switch syntax is a bit ambiguous, too.

Have you written any interesting code lately?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I recall offering to help you learn to program, some years back, but you couldn't do it.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

command-line

the

for me.

two

all

Nope. My best code was written over 20 years ago. The funny thing is that it has proven useful and has needed no maintenance for all that time. Shocks the living shit out of me, i had no idea that any code could be that good. I am not all that sure that i really believe it in spite of credible witnesses that i knew well (certainly well enough to know that they would not lie to about something like this).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I've got the new-file drag-drop copy thing working, but there's one glitch:

If I use Explorer panes to copy folder C:\FISH to D:\, it copies the folder. But if I shell to XCOPY to do the same thing, and D:\FISH doesn't exist, it copies the *contents* of FISH to D:. If D:\FISH is already a folder, my thing correctly copies only the newer files.

That probably stems from the basic ambiguity of Windows as to whether a string specifies a file or a folder, or something. I guess I'll add some code to check for that somehow. Nuisance.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

People have a lot of incentive to leave sleeping bugs lie.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

C:\FISH and C:\FISH\ may not be the same thing. Experiment with a trailing backslash. I can't remember if I'm thinking bash or DOS shell at this point...

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

[snip]

If you consider the true cost of wasting your time trying to re-invent the wheel (and losing files in the process :), it's cheaper to buy a product that does file AND folder comparisons, AND displays the differences AND you don't have to drag just one item at a time...

I've been using it for 10 years.

Command line operations are for Eunuchs >:-} ...Jim Thompson

You never learned how to program, so naturally you buy stuff. When I write a utility like this, I know how it works and can make it do what I want done.

A few million Linux programmers would disagree with you about command-line things. Command lines, and batch files, are the only reliable way to automate and remember complex operations, like firmware builds. You wouldn't understand stuff like that.

I haven't spent much time on this, and I haven't lost any files.

How's that powerup boost supply working? You don't seem to want to talk about it any more. Give up?