easy way to boost range of wireless thermometer?

I have a cheap Accurite wireless thermometer from Walmart. Is there any easy way to boost the range? I tried lengthening the short wire antenna inside the indoor receiver, but this didn't help. Maybe I should have lengthened the sensor antenna as well?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Right now, I'd say the unit has about a

30-50' range and I'd like to double that if possible.

Thanks, Jack

Reply to
Jack Rulo

You could try placing it on a ground plane. Something like a biscuit tin lid should do. Probably won't double range but might get you some of the way there.

Reply to
Andy

Well, it depends on how much of a science project you want to make out of this. You could add a cheap mini-circuit rf amp 'tween the rf output and the sensor antenna. A ERA-33SM gets you about 15dB of gain (dc-3000MHz) and only cost $1.72

maxfoo

Experiment with a corner reflector behind your sensor and aimed at the receiver. See

to get the concept if it is unfamiliar.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Use antennas that are actually cut to resonance, or even directional antennas.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise