windows grrrrrr

That just gives me the same over-write dialog. Still no way to only copy newer files.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

I've looked at the tcl syntax. Pretty bizarre.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Well, Fleet Forces Command has ordered ships present to sortie at once and to ride this one out in the op areas. That's usually a pretty good indication that we're in for a bit of a blow.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

But that doesn't copy newer versions of old files. rsync does. BTW rsync is available as part of cygwin, which is dead useful as well.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's certainly unusual. It's minimalist.

My point would be that really, to be productive on a Windows computer, you need *some* scripting language to do things that aren't natively available. Python is a more current choice ( I learned Tcl 20ish years ago, and use Python now and again ).

Between a scripting language and a 'C' compiler, there's not a lot you can't do. In your case, however, you may not need to build that many test frameworks.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Norfolk, eh? I'm about 100 miles from there at Lake Anna. But I just saw the forecasted track is right over my home in Frederick, MD. Maybe I need to be there, the forecast is a lot worse up that way than here.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Really? I guess I find it odd that in this day and age an engineer doesn't type well. I learned in high school because I figured I'd use it in college. Then when I got a job as an engineer we were evaluating some of the earliest CAD systems. They were mostly drag and drop but my boss saw typing to select a part by name and decided it was not for him... he didn't type either. With all the potential that CAD had to offer, he said "no" because he was afraid to learn to type!

Not that it's a big deal. If you are good with it, fine. But touch typing is very easy really. It just takes a little practice. There are all sorts of free typing tutors available. I probably have a few on a machine somewhere that I downloaded for friends. I'd be happy to send one to you.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

It's not so bad once you get the hang of it. I had to work with someone before I "had" it. But now I've lost it again.

One thing about it you won't like. Once you install tcl, you can't post to newsgroups without trimming the posts! ;^)

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Yes, it looks now like we'll just be on the edge of it down here, with the consensus track making landfall around the Delaware Bay. Fine with me; I've more than paid my hurricane dues. ;-) The sortie was also suspended earlier today, with ships still in port directed to ride it out pierside, so maybe we won't get more down this way than losing the remaining fall foliage. Gas can's full and the generator's ready, though, just in case...

Fun/useful site for seeing what's going on:

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

It's one of those things I probably wouldn't use often enough to stay good at it.

All the scripting languages require the install of a huge, often buggy runtime system. I've never gotten Perl to work on my main PC at work.

I do OK with Windows batch files and PowerBasic.

Oh, I do well enough. Typing slowly gives me more time to think. The last manual that I did was 151 pages long.

But I hate typing long path names and switches into command-line things, and retyping them when something doesn't work. Seeing the files/folders, and dragging/dropping, is much more efficient for me.

Nice chart!

How do you read the dots with the pipe cleaners sticking out? I assume those are current temps and wind direction with each flag is 10 knots, half flag is 5 knots and a triangle flag is 50 knots?

The durn thing looks like it is going to hook a HARD left and then a hard right as soon as it gets to my other place in Maryland. I'm thinking of heading up to make sure everything is ok there. But it is a

2+ hour drive each way.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

You shouldn't find too many bugs with tcl. It has been around a LONG time and has been beat on plenty. I learned it some 10 years ago because it is the scripting language for a lot of simulators in the digital domain.

But I understand your reluctance. There are so many durn things to pick up and only so much time. Its much more fun to do other stuff.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

When I have to use the DOS command line I go to windows explorer, find the directory and copy the path from the address line. Much more reliable and easier. Too bad there is no easy way to get the full path including the file name... is there? I have to copy that separately. I don't type that sort of stuff because it can be error prone... the kind of errors that clobber files and lose data.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

newer files. I use it for a secondary backup to a usb drive.

Cheers

He wants an automatic solution.

Martin Riddle

Well, that is interesting. Of course, you can use samba to mount a windows share, and then use all the Linux tools to backup, or sync, files and directories. I run Win 2K Pro as a guest OS under VMware on my Linux desktop, so I can run some VERY good but older CAD tools (mostly Protel 99SE for schematic and PCB). I back everything up with K3B, one of the CD/DVD burner tools for Linux. This samba sharing works quite seamlessly, and you can flip between Windows and Linux with a couple key clicks. You can even have both on the desktop at the same time, but for CAD, you usually want the whole screen, anyway.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

yeah, he should have mentioned "deltacopy"

but seriously, rsync is the tool for copy-like backups and overlapping incremental copy-like backups.

backups should be automatic. "click here" is too easily forgotten.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

before xcopy ther e was a dos command called replace which could do that.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

No. There were batch files which were well written which could use the simple "copy" command to do it.

Still are.

A lot of you folks are oblivious. I am surprised that you properly stop at traffic lights.

Reply to
MrTallyman

There is (are):

XXCOPY: