windows grrrrrr

The one your going to miss ;) Although looking a the computer models, I bet one of them could place the storm in Arizona.

Martin Riddle

Yep. It'll rain, and we'll have a thunderstorm cocktail party on the patio >:-}

Spehro, et ux, has been here for a glass of wine or two or three... on our patio ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I will gladly donate some Tcl code I wrote for backup purposes. You'd, uh, have to install Tcl ( or use freewrap or something ).

The from/to paths are hardcoded. You'd have to change that, too.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

That's mean :)

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

I can do a hardcoded version using a batch file that invokes XCOPY, which has a nice group of switches. I'd have to write something else, semi-klugey, to make a drag-and-drop wrapper around that.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

snip

He is an idiot.

There is a way. A very easy way. When you begin the copy, if there is a dupe, it asks if you want to overwrite it. It ALSO has a checkbox and script for doing the same thing with the remaining "xxx number of files with the same issue". So, you answer No, and it bypasses all existing files.

Reply to
MrTallyman

Geez, Linux has had this since before there even was a Linux (came over from Unix utilities.) tar, cp and other utilities can compare time stamps and only copy the new files.

(I'm sure windows has some utilities available for $50 or something, too.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Oh that is just too much work!.. Can't you make it easier?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I dunno enough about batch files to be any help there. My backup regime is always the same paths, so...

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Surprisingly, if there are any they're very hard to find. There is an rsync for Windows but it looks scary.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

XCOPY will do it, but involves typing all the paths and a few switches. Seems primitive to me. I never really learned how to type.

I guess I'll have to write some sort of drag-and-drop wrapper for XCOPY.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Windows copy does that? All I see is

Yes Yes to all No cancel

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Tcl is a month of pain followed by a lifetime of "I got this". Ditto Perl, Python, whatevah. The native DOS tools simply don't have the power.

best month I ever spent.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Err...What about the possibility of an extremely nasty solar flare storm - one that can literally fry all satellite electronics, and zap almost all ground-based electronics? Refs:

1) EE Times Sep 17,2012 pp 20-22 "Girding for the next 'solar max' " 2) Science Fact article in Analog SF&F Nov 2012 pp21-27 "The Day the Sun Exploded".

Could be serious enough to totally crash all banking in the world,leaving the "Third World" nations in a superior position.

Reply to
Robert Baer

MrTallyman

I've never seen that.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

A month of pain doesn't fit into my current lifestyle.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Bummer.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Don't forget the shift (or was it Ctrl?) key ;)

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: