Winding Inductors with Teflon Wire

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:47:11 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

Ewww... and his fits in a 2" version. Must be some tiny miniature donkey.

Use multiple strands of mag wire to equiv a 14 Ga. Three 18 Ga is ALMOST the same. Six 20Ga IS the same current capacity as one 14Ga, and you'll get some Litz effect if your freq is high enough.

Reply to
SuperM

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:49:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@pitt.edu (GregS) Gave us:

PVC SUCKS for any industrial use. Phase it out of your life wherever possible.

Reply to
SuperM

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:01:34 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

Strands of mag wire shoved into a teflon tube is also very good for these situations. Doesn't work well for enormous turn counts though.

Reply to
SuperM

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:12:06 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

MWS sells REAL Litz configurations.

Reply to
SuperM

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:28:29 GMT, D from BC Gave us:

If your toroid has ANY burred edges at all, teflon is very bad as it will flow thin wherever sharply kinked and under tension... even fingernails can reduce its cross sectional thickness badly.

Reply to
SuperM

Bwahahahaha!!! A drunken PSP junkie giving plumbing advice.

--
Usenet lits score:
GIT-R-DONE!
#20 Usenet asshole
#6 Lits Slut
#11 Most posting trolls/hunters/flonkers 2007

MassiveProng wrote in:
>  Yet another film reference your gang boy retarded ass missed.
>
>  Sorry, chump, but you be dumb, boy.
Reply to
Niemadre

I agree.

--
Usenet lits score:
GIT-R-DONE!
#20 Usenet asshole
#6 Lits Slut
#11 Most posting trolls/hunters/flonkers 2007

MassiveProng wrote in:
>  Yet another film reference your gang boy retarded ass missed.
>
>  Sorry, chump, but you be dumb, boy.
Reply to
Niemadre

Pleze to be adding me to this litz.

--
Usenet lits score:
GIT-R-DONE!
#20 Usenet asshole
#6 Lits Slut
#11 Most posting trolls/hunters/flonkers 2007

MassiveProng wrote in:
>  Yet another film reference your gang boy retarded ass missed.
>
>  Sorry, chump, but you be dumb, boy.
Reply to
Niemadre

Wow! Let's say N=100 and VL=300Vrms and it's a single layer toroid.. Wouldn't the max wire to wire potential be 300Vrms/100 = 3Vrms??? Except for where the last loop gets close to the first loop... D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

[snip]

It's squishy!! :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Yes, almost always.

Some other insulations to search for are Tefzel and Kynar. But I don't recall seeing Kynar on anything but solid wire. Tefzel is a toughened version of Teflon used a lot in aircraft. Thin, light and high temperature rating.

Reply to
John Popelish

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:45:47 -0700 SuperM Kissed my ass and whined:

Similar to the enormous stick shoved up your ass netKKKop. Ya luv it dontcha?

;)

Reply to
Zach

They have both. But real litz has a lot of air woven into it, so isn't very efficient in situations where DC losses matter, like this one apparently is. For a given cross section, you get a lot of ohms compared to stranded or especially solid wire. It's great in situatuions where eddy current and skin losses dominate.

John

I wonder if anybody makes inductors by potting a winding with ferrite or permalloy powder loaded silicone or something. That would make a squishy inductor!

Somebody makes some astounding wideband inductors by winding a cone/spiral and then filling it with ferrite-loaded epoxy, sort of like a chocolate ice-cream cone. There's no better wideband inductor on the planet.

John

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 01:09:49 GMT, Niemadre Gave us:

Idiot. It is about PVC coated WIRE, not pipes, you utter retard.

Reply to
SuperM

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 01:11:52 GMT, Niemadre Gave us:

Further proof that you are completely lost where electronics is involved.

Or is that "lotz"?

Reply to
SuperM

Who said otherwise, lamer?

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
 . | ,. w ,

That one sailed way over your pointy little head, eh Dongie?

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
 . | ,. w ,
  \\|/  \\|/              Perna condita delenda est
Lionel

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:49:28 -0400, John Popelish Gave us:

Though it also has a per mil dielectric strength which is far higher as well.

Use multiple smaller ga kynar wires to achieve the 14 ga equivalent.

Reply to
SuperM

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:55:45 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

At 100kHz, it's a toss up. Even with the DC component he mentioned.

Also, inductors are usually pretty short in overall length so the DC resistance of the finished item will be very *very* little, compared to the solid or stranded version of the same circular mil cross section.

Reply to
SuperM