Winding Inductors with Teflon Wire

I'm was on Ebay looking at Teflon wire because I think the insulation thickness is generally less than PVC.

Is there other insulation or wire types could I search for that have very thin insulation (thin jacketing)? It'll most likely have a low voltage rating too.

Requirements #14 to #16 AWG stranded Vrating: 50Vrms min

20 to 50 foot spool Online ordering preferred

This is for easy winding of a high current inductor. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Formvar! Or solderable nylon or polyurethane "varnish."

John

whats wrong with enammeled wire?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Too stiff... It's gotta bend on a ~2" circumference. Also it's easy to accidentally kink the wire when winding the toroid. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

On stranded wire?

Maybe I might get cheap PVC insulated #14 stranded wire ,strip off 20ft of PVC insulation and then run the wire through a pot of polyurethane.. Hang... let dry.. and presto...Highly flexible, highly conductive magnet wire. :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

ah.. check out square section wire, sorry, no urls, just came across it while looking for geek p*rn

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

So, the truth comes out. You get kinky with Toroids. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Stranded would be much esier to acomplish, but you have to watch the TFE for sharp corners because it is so soft, and it continues to travel or flow after the initial wind if there is stress. A high temperature PVC might work. Just check out the available insulation thicknesses.

grge

Reply to
GregS

Oh. Stranded. Use the mil-type teflon then. The insulation is very thin. Or thinwall shrink tubing.

John

I should have called this post: "Microthin Jacketed Stranded Wire for High Current Toroids"

Thanks..I'll do some Googling on the mil-type teflon.. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Or just wind parallel pieces of smaller solid enameled wire, twisted or not. Less eddy-current loss. MWS sells pseudo-Litz wire like this, just stranded wire with enamel on the individual strands.

John

I just might do that...

But...I'd like to try an alternative and that's to use heavy gauge thin jacketed stranded wire. Teflon wire was my first thought.

I'm probably going to make my own multifilar wire with my left over magnet wire if I have nothing better. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I think #16 magnet wire would be easy enough to use. Start the winding from the middle of the wire so you don't have to pull the whole length through the core. I did once resort to using stranded Teflon wire, but that was #12 for heavier current.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

Take a look at these guys. They have some very nice wire wrapped in Teflon and Kapton tapes. It's good to 200 deg C, does not kink, and has TUV approvals for PSU separation. The problem is that they only sell in larger reels 5 or 10 lbs. However, if you ask nicely, they will probably send a sample, - I got some a few years ago.

Barry

Barry Lennox

Some I used to dig myself out of a hole was bought in as 'airframe wire'. Thin Teflon coat over multistrand, silver plated wires. Lovely, magical stuff but 50mtr of 6mm^2, cost an arm and a leg.

john jardine

Doh!!...I can start winding in the middle or the wire.. It just blows me away sometimes why I don't think of these things.... :) Thanks.. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Next on EDN Magazine... "When Wire gets Sexy" :)

Airframe wire??? Was that the official customs description for lower duty? Sneaky :)

I've never used Teflon insulated wire before but I've seen some prices on Digikey.. ouch! D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

We make Teflon magnet wire at work, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.. We make it in various thickness but the hold idea is the temperature it can handle. If you have motors or inductive type systems that run hot! it's good how ever, making it for small gauges and very thin walls becomes expensive due to the yield.. On some run's we can get very good yield for small gauges once the process gets debugged how ever, we do have those days when for what ever reason. the small gauges just have problems.. Lots of pin holes, break aways ect.. This is all done in an air control environment so we have kind of put this in a bad batch of compound from the vender when we do have this problem.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:39:54 GMT, D from BC Gave us:

Double or triple strength mag wire is rated at like 1500 Volts IIRC.

There is also some mag wire that has Kynar on it, spiral wound, triple layered, and that has the ultimate breakdown strength, while remaining thinly covered.

Reply to
SuperM

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:23:36 GMT, D from BC Gave us:

Not if you know what yer doin'...

Reply to
SuperM