inductors with magnets

I came across some inductors with magnets in one of my stock drawers. Most with no label or p/n, but one says NYE. Their tops stick together. :-) No doubt meant to increase the saturation current (provided you get the polarity right).

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

With a really strong magnet, an inductor could be linear from, say.

1.2 to 1.4 amps.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You could have an adjustable air gap between the core and the magnet, so you'd be able to adjust the range down to 1.0-1.2 A. So many more applications that way.

Of course a lot of relays have bias magnets in them, and not just latching ones.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Ha ha, laugh it up. Ferrites have a high saturation flux; it takes a serious magnet to shift it off-center, and nearly double the maximum allowed coil flux.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Envision eddy-current problems.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Commonly seen in TV deflection circuits (not completely sure why, but US patent 5179322 has an example).

Does the core have one end painted red?

Reply to
whit3rd

....the reason why commercial offerings for smps never flew...

Hitachi HiCoil STS MaxFlux

Successful usage at LF and DC in many apps.

Some attempts have been made to bias cores without having a PM in actual HF flux path.

RL

Reply to
legg

Like, the old keyswitch gizmos (US patent 4099178). I've always wondered what they used for 'ferrite', to get good saturation with little permanent magnets.

Reply to
whit3rd

Like, the old keyswitch gizmos (US patent 4099176). I've always wondered what they used for 'ferrite', to get good saturation with little permanent magnets.

[repost, first try I made a typo...]
Reply to
whit3rd