Power inductors with temperature sensor

We are currently designing a compact, medium power buck converter and we would like to measure the temperature in the various components. The power stage includes temperature sensors, but for the inductors (around 40A,

560nH) we did not find any with a temperature sensor. I would have thought that it should be easy to integrate a wire-based temp sensor. Since we use mostly closed-core inductors and the wire in the inductor is what gets hot, adding a temperature sensor to an existing product does not really make sense.

Andreas

Reply to
acd

I've epoxied thermocouples to various devices as part of product testing. This is for development/testing, not production, right?

Reply to
Frank Miles

I've epoxied thermocouples to various devices as part of product testing. This is for development/testing, not production, right?

Reply to
Frank Miles

Yes, it is a research project. The problem is that I think the temperature of the coil will be much higher than that of the core, and we use closed-core inductors. How could I get a thermocouple inside the inductor? Of course, your solution is better than nothing, and we will probably do that.

Andreas

Reply to
acd

than that of the core, and we use closed-core inductors.

Measure the coil resistance. Copper has a positive TC about 3900 PPM/K.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

we

nd

ve

g.

er than that of the core, and we use closed-core inductors.

that.

I'd think the core and the coil would quickly reach the same temperature can't be much thermal isolation between coil and core

but if you want t oget fancy something like this:

and the Tc of copper

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

On a sunny day (Thu, 24 Jan 2013 08:33:35 -0800 (PST)) it happened acd wrote in :

than that of the core, and we use closed-core

If you do that, maybe one of thsoe LM335 sensors, some output voltage as degrees C. and can be input directly to a micro.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

John beat me to it.

If it's a research project, then put features on your board that let you shut the power supply down and measure the coil temperature before the heat bleeds off.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

It shouldn't be hard to measure it live. Lowpass-filter the AC stuff out with a simple RC thing, and measure the winding's drop with a DVM. Measure the DC current independently somehow, with a shunt or something.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

like to measure the temperature in the various components.

40A,

sensor.

gets hot, adding a temperature sensor to an existing product does not really make sense.

Actually the core of the inductor gets hot due to losses in the core. The best thing to do is to calculate core and copper losses and see if the core doesn't get too hot if you design your own inductor.

If you buy a readily made inductor the datasheet should tell you up to which temperature an inductor can be used at its rated current and how it should be derated at higher ambient temperatures.

In both cases the temperature of the core should give you a rough estimate whether your calculations where right.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

than that of the core, and we use closed-core

degrees C.

Just be careful about putting it close to some nasty switching node; the LM35 series is tricky. Safer would be a thermocouple or RTD. There are really, really tiny thermocouples.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Manufacturers of "closed core inductors" have a bad habit of providing no information whatsoever with regards to losses. At least some will provide information on request (in at least one series, Bourns uses Kool-Mu cores, from which I was able to establish the pertinent information).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

As others have said, one can use the copper winding resistance to measure temperature.

Alternately, one can also drill a hole in the core and install a thermocouple in the resulting well with silicon caulk (which has pretty good thermal conductivity.

Making the well: If the core is iron, an ordinary cobalt drill bit will do. If ferrite, use a diamond drill intended for glass, running in water. Drill deep enough to be near the center.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

For heavy machinery, it is not uncommon for an extra winding or two to be employed as a 'copper resistor'. If your coils are custom-wound, just add some fine wire (bifilar wound) in non-inductive winding (i.e. two matched windings in anti-series connection).

It's also possible to get optic fiber thermometers so the pickup of electrical noise won't confuse the issue. I haven't used these, but know that some properties (time delay of ruby fluorescence) have well-known temperature effects.

Reply to
whit3rd

The old Heathkit H14 printer read the head temperature at the end of each line by measuring the resistance. As it heated up, the print rate slowed down to protect the printhead. Then all you had to worry about was a dry ribbon, since the oil based ink was the lubricant for the print wires.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell