Will any internal dvd player fit into my desktop computer?

I have a dell gx620 and need an internal dvd burner. Will any burner for a PC fit into my computer or does my computer allow only dvd burners of certain size/model specification?

Reply to
Andrea

fit into my computer or does my computer allow only dvd burners of certain size/model specification? Sizes are all the same these daze; "5.25 wide" by "1.5 high". Just get a popular brand DVD R/W drive - they come with all of the software. The newer the drive, the less likely the software will support older OSes - and the older the drive, newer OSes will not be supported because they did not exist then. Computer speed is not relevant, and the computer type/motherboard may force you to get a SATA drive instead of the older PATA drive.

Reply to
Robert Baer

In the dark ages they might have been. Plenty of slimline drives about these days that are 1.3cm or about one third height.

There might not be too many slimline PATA drives around now. But there are some:

I don't know offhand if the GX620 needs a slimline drive or not. I have a bad feeling it is one they did in many random sizes so you may have to open it up and take a look (or lookup the ROM drive fitted).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The PC branded makers, in particular, use slimline and proprietary slimline designs ALL THE TIME, you dope.

So, finding out IF her machine actually has a half height 5.25" bay in it would be the PROPER requirements analysis to perform BEFORE you go spouting what you THINK are standards.

You ain't real bright. I have drives you can't even buy any more, but the drivers are available for Windows 7. Use your brain next time, dope.

Sure it is. An older computer will PUKE all day long on a BluRay player because it can't do 10Mb/s.

Modern players are both SATA only and high data rate if they are bd players. It is actually hard to find UDMA interface players any more.

Or vice versa. You ain't real bright, boy.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

fit into my computer or does my computer allow only dvd burners of certain size/model specification?

WHICH GX 620? There are multiple versions. This computer is a GX620 SFF and uses a laptop DVD drive. Go to the Dell website and enter your computer's service number for the right answer.

Michael A. Terrell