Sony DVD/CD player model DVP-S530D will not read DVD's

I had this unit in the shop about 6 months ago with a bad motor. I replaced the motor, being very careful to measure the height of the platter before disassemling the old one . The new one went in without a hitch and the unit worked fine. It just came back with the complaint that it would not play. I determined that CD's will play fine but when attempting to play a DVD I get a No Disc message. I cleaned the laser and there was no difference. I then swapped the laser asssembly with one from a known good machine and it works. So I have determined that the problem does not seem to be the motor. It appears that it is either in the laser itself or perhaps could the platter height of my replacement job have been marginal from the last repair, and perhaps the laser has aged somewhat now causing the CD's to read OK but not the DVD's.? I'm just guessing here. If a machine will read CD's should it just follow that it should also read DVD's? I don't see a power adjustment on the laser assembly and really wouldn't want to mess with it unless I was sure anyway. Does anyone have any opinions on this and also a quick easy way to rule out platter height vs laser aging as the source of the problem? Thanks for any assistance. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics

Reply to
captainvideo462002

It's a bad laser, as was recently discussed in detail, DVD players generally use two separate lasers in a single pickup, one IR for CD's and one visible red for DVDs. What you're seeing is one of the most common failure modes of DVD players.

Reply to
James Sweet

This model does use a single - diode (red) laser, but I also believe it's the pickup. All one can really do is try one. Beware of generics, though. Heard horror stories about those, and if you install one and it doesn't work, it just muddies the water further.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Do any modern DVD players use multiple diodes?

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Most if not all modern ones use 'dual-wave" types which function as two separate diodes in one housing.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Is there even a remote possibility that a slight platter height adjustment might possibly make this thing work again? Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Most Sonys have built in auto setup, and I'm 99% certain, without going and digging out the manual, that the 530 does as well. You will need to be armed with a single layer disc ( typical shop ' demo ' disc ), a standard dual layer disc, and a standard CD. Running the auto setup, will check and reset the tracking and focus servos,amongst other things, which will take out any slack arising from a slightly mis-set turntable height.

Any time a Sony is worked on, and particularly if any deck components have been replaced, the auto setup should be run as a matter of course.

I think that you press " TITLE " " CLEAR " and " POWER " all together on the remote, to get into the service mode, then select auto setup, followed by " all " then accept " Reset Defaults " then follow the onscreen instructions. If it bombs during any of the setup sequences that follow, you almost definitely have a defective laser.

You can review the data that's been stored when it's finished. If you understand hexadecimal notation, if all is well, you should see that most of the settings are within a digit or two of their centre range. If you see that the focus offset is well off to one side on either CD or single layer stored data, assume that the turntable height is significantly wrong.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

You mentioned "single layer" and "dual layer" .I'm assuming you're refering to DVD's? I have no demo's so can I use standard commercially recorded DVD's or DVD's we burned ourselves, and if so how would I know if any of these are single or dual? Thanks, Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Hi Lenny

Yes, I am referring to DVDs. These should be pressed rather than burnt types, and should really be service ' reference ' types, but these are extortionately expensive from manufacturers, being " hand " engineered.

The type of demo disc I am refering to, commonly came with players a few years back, and demonstrated things like Dolby 5.1. They tended to last about 20 minutes, and had auto looping features and such on them. You probably wouldn't have too much trouble laying hands on one, if you asked around the local electronics / department stores.

The machine knows if the disc is single or dual layer. When you run the auto setup, it's the first parameter that is checked for each disc type that it asks you to put in. If it's wrong, it will abort, and spit the disc back out again.

Toshiba did one - DVDZ-9048 is the PAL version. Sony also did one - HVE-DVDS/2001.

If you can't get a single layer disc, all is not lost, however. You can set the disc types manually in the main auto setup menu. Instead of selecting "

0 - ALL ", select each individual disc type that you have ie DVD - DL and CD. Any commercially produced full-price pressed discs are good enough for setting up. I wouldn't recommend using the freebies that pop up all over the place now, as some of these are of extremely dubious quality.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Well this is sort of an uncomfortable situation. I have obviously already gotten paid for replacing the motor. I realise that the subsequent failure of the laser is not predictible and not my fault, and although my customer may realise it too she will be very unhappy about this. I would like to try to keep her as a customer and get this thing going for her even at cost if need be. How much will a replacement laser cost me? I'm fairly certain that Sony will try to rape me if they even make this part available by itself that is. Are there generics available that will fit right into these Sony's without modification? Or does anyone perhaps have a unit with a bad motor and good laser that they would be willing to part with? Probably never should have fixed this piece of crap in the first place. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

The replacement, A-6062-397-A is about 60.00 plus freight from Andrews Electronics. I've heard horror stories about generics on these, especially that used, bad pickups are being sold as new.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

We have stocks of this Laser OPtical pick ups and for that matter any sony part for Model DVP-S530D .

e mail us to snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Costs US$90.00 + Shipping.

Reply to
SONY digital camera parts

I bet you sell lots of those, too!

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias
90.00 plus shipping????? I'm trying to do this lady a favor! Do you know what this unit cost new? Thank you but with all due respects I believe that you missed the point entirely. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.
Reply to
captainvideo462002