Wifi: Connecting a Laptop to en embedded system

are available on the PC.

Ok, you can have literally ANYTHING on the PIC24 series, from WiFi, MiWi, etc., the real question here is "What is available on the notebooks?" In most cases, that is going to be WiFi only. They do have full TCP/IP stacks for the PIC24, so that won't be a problem. They are even adding WiFi modules to their product line. Your real questions are the security and interface to the web...

Charlie Microchip Design Partner

Reply to
Charlie E.

One way would be to use IRDA, which implements a simple networking capability using pulsed IR. Some laptops have IRDA transceivers built in, and for those that don't you can buy an add-on dongle.

To the computer (laptop or embedded) IRDA implements a packet-oriented protocol, sitting on top of a high-speed UART, which is itself connected to the IR transceiver.

Distances are usually limited to a few feet, with clear line of sight.

Another option is to use WiFi, running in "ad hoc" mode. You don't need an access point for this... the systems operate point-to-point.

If you've ever seen an "HPSetup" network when you've looked around for a WiFi connection, that's an "ad hoc" network being advertised by an HP laser printer that hasn't yet been configured.

I agree that Bluetooth is a workable option as well... a lot of embedded-controller operating systems come with a Bluetooth stack these days.

If you don't absolutely require wireless, then a USB connection at the laptop end would probably be the way to go. Use a USB-to-serial interface chip in the embedded system, hook it to a UART on the embedded controller, and you've got a connection that almost any laptop can plug into.

Dave Platt

I see USB-to-BlueTooth dongles selling online for under $2 in single quantities, and under a dollar (free shipping) on eBay.

-- Dave Platt AE6EO Friends of Jade Warrior home page:

I do _not_ wish to receive unsolicited commercial email, and I will boycott any company which has the gall to send me such ads!

Reply to
Dave Platt

IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU ?

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO......

STOP THINKING YOU THAT YOU KNOW THE DYNAMICS OF PROBLEM SOLVING AMONG HUMANS AND EVEN IF YOU HAVE THE SURE FIRE SOLUTION DON'T TROLL YOU WAY INTO OTHERS LIVES SHARE COURTEOUSLY AND RESPECTFULLY OR YOU CLEAN PIPES FOR A LIVING AND STOP GIVING DIRTY ADVICE OR YOU'LL GET DIRTY RESULTS

I AM PROTEUS

Reply to
Proteus IIV

How about the embedded side ?

Whats a serial Bluetooth module cost these days ??

Is anyone using one ?

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

These USB dongles on ebay are for phones.

Can these be used for data as well ??

Of the ones listed, none state they can be used as a serial device.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

I've used a RS-232 to Wifi adapter

to access an embedded system. In my case the system already had a web server, I just redirected all the text in and out to the serial port. I configured the adapter for ad-hoc mode and could then access the web server using a laptop, or even ipad.

Reply to
certsoft

I use several of the ~$2 USB bluetooth adapters on my PCs. They get used for mouse, headset and cell phone interface. The drivers that install in the PC for the thing expose two virtual Comm ports over the BlueTooth.

Seems quite reasonable that if you have the embedded system negotiate with the PC that it can support a virtual serial port over BlueTooth.

--
- mkaras
Reply to

OK, I am glad that this does work as a serial port.

Now, please post a specific bluetooth adapter that this has worked for you.

I am new to bluetooth and would like to get something that just works.

Thanks

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

=20

=20

There is an interesting idea, hack a wireless keyboard/mouse for the wireless connection. Probably wouldn't make the distance though.

Reply to
JosephKK

You would also need to hack the receiver. You would also have to write the comm protocol new as well. Sounds good though.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever