Where to get cheap embedded system

Hi,20%

I'd like to build software for an embedded system.  I am considering =
using an I-pod (or similar) device or possibly a printer, because these =
have native drive options, and some printers have networks already built =
in.    Anyone else have any better ideas.   I could always hack an X-Box =
I suppose, but I'd like to go even cheaper than that.

While I intend on designing some serious systems later, something up =
front would be nice just for some practice.  I'd like to remaster an =
I-Pod Linux for decrypting and encrypting PGP encoded messages, without =
losing the ability to play MP3's if possible!  20%

I was thinking the printer could be an excellent webserver for some VERY =
low volume hosting.  Of course, I'd still like to maintain printability =
if possible - although I don't know what size the firmware in these =
units is.    I'm not even sure printer firmware is upradeable :(

Set me off on the right track.   I'm thinking networking, existing =
platforms, some way to input (interfacing with buttons, Serial port . . =
I dunno)  Some ideas are Cell phone, digital camera, Palm Pilot (or =
similar) 20%

First project will be a security system, monitoring n/o n/c channels and =
notifying an existing computer network if something changes or is =
unexpected.  20%

--20%
"When you have to choose between a first-rate company with a second-rate =
product and a second-rate company with a first-rate product, it's never =
an ideal choice. " -Ed (www.overclockers.com)

Re: Where to get cheap embedded system

Many of the wireless hubs and cheap firewalls run Linux.
The Linksys WRTG54 is one that springs to mind.  I think most
of the Netgear boxes run Linux as well.

You might want to take a look at www.linuxdevices.com

Lose that HTML crap, please.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Why am I in this ROOM
                                  at               in DOWNTOWN PHILADELPHIA?

Many of the Gigabyte wireless hubs and firewalls runs Linux as well.
They have the full source for these devices available on their web
site.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Site Timeline