Embedded Wifi?

Hi,

Some time ago I managed to interface an Ethernet NIC controller to an 8051.

Probably a very nieve question, yet how should I rate my chances of doing the same with a Wifi controller? Is there that much added complexity to driving a NIC?

Modafinil.

Reply to
Modafinil

How much work would you like to do ?

Google found many sites with this already done and many very cheap.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Let's see if we can break things down into a less silly sequence of questions.

Connecting an ISA Ethernet Nic to an 8051 was a simple matter of connecting controller i/o pins to ISA address and data signals, and then excercising the lines to mimic processor bus activity.

Having little knowledge of PCI interfacing, my next silly question involves the difficulty associated in port mapping PCI Wifi card control registers as had been done with the Ethernet ISA Nic?

Dumb idea? PCI doesn't lend itself to that? Possible?

All positive suggestions and directions greatly appreciated.

Modafinil.

Hi,

Reply to
Modafinil

Hi Hamilton,

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm...a cheapo solution that anyone can get going for a few bucks would be ideal. I'm hoping for a very basic TCP/IP hook-up over Wifi, using a common, junky old throw-away 802.11/b card. The Ethernet ISA NIC version was a tear-away success.

Modafinil.

Reply to
Modafinil

Hmmm, I would guess you did not google for any information.

Yes, it can be done.

Is $100 cheap enough ? Is $50 cheap enough ?

Can a old 802.11b card be used, yes. How much is your time worth ?

Is this a learning project, or do just want it to work ?

Can it be done with an 8051(class), I doubt it.

This may be able to help you understand what you are asking.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

I have yet to locate a documented wifi interface part or module on the market so that one could interface it at low level (i.e. its driver will look like an Ethernet driver to the higher level). I have not been googling for that for some months now so your findings might be a nice surprise to me - can point me to something which is on the market and is documented?

Dimiter