Do I need raspberry-pi?

Hello everyone, I am new to the raspberry-pi, and I need your help.

I am planning to use raspberry-pi to stream 2 or 3 USB cameras to the Inter net and run a web browser displaying a local website for interacting with u sers. This site may contain some videos or flash animations or javascript a nimations. Besides, there will be some services in nodejs running backgroun d. Here are my questions:

  1. Is it the right choice to use raspberry-pi here? ( since I am a tota l novice, I searched the Internet and concluded that raspberry-pi is the ea siest way for me to implement it. Am I right? Is there any better choice? )
  2. If I can use raspberry-pi, is there any efficiency problems for rasp berry-pi to implement all the services? (I have already implemented the ser vices on my own PC, it seems the streaming consumes a lot of CPU performanc e)
  3. If I can't, where should I go to ask for more help?

Thanks for helping me.

Reply to
???

Hello unicode!

18 Jun 2018 19:54, ??? wrote to All:

?> Hello everyone, I am new to the raspberry-pi, and I need your help.

no you did a perfect unicode :)

?> I am planning to use raspberry-pi to stream 2 or 3 USB cameras to the ?> Internet and run a web browser displaying a local website for ?> interacting with users. This site may contain some videos or flash ?> animations or javascript animations. Besides, there ?> will be some services in nodejs running background. Here are my ?> questions:

+1

?> 1. Is it the right choice to use raspberry-pi here? ( since I am a ?> total novice, I searched the Internet and concluded that raspberry-pi ?> is the easiest way for me to implement it. Am I right? Is there any ?> better choice? )

start with the most cheapest rpi, and build expirense with it, but imho i dont know how much stream quality the rpi cam have, but if its a rpi cam you will not need more expansive hardware, so in this terms its fine

?> 2. If I can use raspberry-pi, is there any efficiency problems for ?> raspberry-pi to implement all the services? (I have already implemented ?> the services on my own PC, it seems the streaming consumes a lot of CPU ?> performance)

it depends, have you any rpi hardware yet ?

?> 3. If I can't, where should I go to ask for more help?

it depends aswell

?> Thanks for helping me.

you must not think that if it works on windows a rpi will do aswell, that will be a fail to learn from

Regards Benny

... there can only be one way of life, and it works :)

Reply to
Benny Pedersen

I use MotionEyesOS for remote camera traps for animals and security cameras. MotionEyesOS allows for live streaming and/or saving of video clips and photos. You can keep it on all the time or only trigger on significant changes in the frame (eg movement).

Andy

Reply to
AndyW

On a sunny day (Mon, 18 Jun 2018 19:54:01 -0700 (PDT)) it happened wrote in :

Do not know about the PI 3, but my raspies do not even stream 1 USB camera at > 2 fps (if you are lucky) So forget it.

No

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

? 2018?6?20???? UTC

+8??3:08:28?Benny Pedersen??? ?

dont

ill

ed

PU

will

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know that there are rpi cams out there. But still, I don't unders tand why I must not consider rpi as a small server. As far as I'm concerned , normal performance problem should be solved by replacing a better hardwar e component. In another word, what I have achieved on PC should work just f ine on rpi, as long as I found a correct model of rpi.

Reply to
Roger Law

You cant replace the CPU/GPU in an Rpi. Nor the ethernet chip.

Neither can you up the data rate through a given communication path.

I would personally go for a beagle bone here with X86 architecture and a bit more CPU grunt.

The Natural Philosopher

? 2018?6?20???? UTC

+8??5:01:53?The Natural Philos>

OK, now I got a little clue about what I should do. Thank you for your help . And I want to know your reason to choose X86 architecture rather than the ARM. Is it related to the streaming function? Or the web browser?

Reply to
Roger Law

You're correct - its a perfectly good server, but for relatively light loads because there are some bottlenecks in the hardware:

  • Depending on model you only have 512MB to 1GB of RAM, which is limiting for heavy graphics and for file caching. My dual Athlon, 4GB box can compile 200 Java classes (1.4MB of source+binary) in 4 secs, but uses
2.2GB of its RAM for disk caching and I've seen my 8GB, i5 based laptop running very fast with 1GB of programs and 7GB of disk cache when doing similar tasks. This class of workload is going to be slow on an RPi
  • There are i/o bottlenecks too. SD cards aren't the fastest form of storage, but they are cheap and physically small. There's another chokepoint for USB and ethernet: all this traffic goes through a single onboard USB hub, so moving data off the SD card and onto a USB drive won't necessarily gain you all that much.
  • I do a fair amount of C programming on my RPi. Compilation is very noticeably slower on the RPi than on mt other systems (scarcely a surprise), but due to the smaller RAM, I never see the large speedup between the first and second compile of the day that I see with the Athlon or i5 systems. Subjectively, C compilation on my RPi B+ (512 MB RAM,
0.9GHz) is no faster than it used to be when I was running OS-9/68K on an 8MHz 68020 system with 8MB of RAM.

In other words, an RPi3 should be fine for a relatively compute-intensive workload provided it doesn't use more than, say, 250-500MB of in-memory data. Just don't expect it to handle workloads that require serious amounts of i/o to either disk or over its ethernet connection. If you need serous i/o or a lot of RAM, consider using a mini-ITX system.

However, if you need it to do something like supporting an online weather station or being a home media server it will be just the job.

However, given that all RPi's are inexpensive and that all you need to make one run is:

- a USB power supply (2A capability for an RPi 3)

- a 4 or 8 GB SD card loaded with a Noobs Raspbian install

- a CAT5 ethernet cable to connect it to your home LAN

- a mothership (a laptop or PC running either Linux or Windows plus the free PuTTy SSH terminal package)

in a plastic box that used to hold Mirabell Mozart Kugeln

why not just get one and see what it can do for you.

HTH

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

The 3+ seems to be pickier aka. more demanding. I have a couple of adapters from Modmypi with a flip switch in the cable for easy on/off, which *should* be good at specified 5.1 V 2.5 A, but no go with my 3+. The official adapter works fine, even with a usb hdd as startup disk.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Hello Roger!

19 Jun 2018 23:59, Roger Law wrote to All:

RL> Thanks for your reply.

+1

RL> I didn't know that there are rpi cams out there.

+1

RL> But still, I don't RL> understand why I must not consider rpi as a small server.

i did not say that

RL> As far as RL> I'm concerned, normal performance problem should be solved by RL> replacing a better hardware component.

and you belive rpi is so badly ?

RL> In another word, RL> what I have achieved on PC should work just fine on rpi, as long as I RL> found a correct model of rpi.

then you dont need a rpi at all

Regards Benny

... there can only be one way of life, and it works :)

Reply to
Benny Pedersen

Hello The!

20 Jun 2018 10:01, The Natural Philosopher wrote to Roger Law:

TNP> I would personally go for a beagle bone here with X86 architecture TNP> and a bit more CPU grunt.

i have a quad p2 200 mhz that is slower then my first rpi 2, anyone want a heather ? :)

20 Jun 2018 03:08, Roger Law wrote to All:

RL> OK, now I got a little clue about what I should do. Thank you for your RL> help. And I want to know your reason to choose X86 architecture rather RL> than the ARM. Is it related to the streaming function? Or the web RL> browser?

my home slackware is a intel atom cpu, maybe run android apps on the rpi ? :)

Regards Benny

... there can only be one way of life, and it works :)

Reply to
Benny Pedersen

On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 23:59:01 -0700 (PDT), Roger Law declaimed the following:

What component are you envisioning changing? The processor/graphics on an RPI is a single chip ("SoC" - System on Chip). Heck, the graphics processor side is responsible for booting the ARM side! The Ethernet isn't

-- it's a USB to Ethernet adapter built onto the board, so limited to USB traffic (and interference from other USB peripherals).

The current fastest RPi is the 3B+ -- which, while being a 64-bit quad-core, is hobbled by the standard OS release(s) still being 32-bit (to be compatible across the line) It is only 1.4GHz, with 1GB of RAM.{There may be 64-bit OS out there, but you are responsible for configuring it to run}.

About the only "component" you can work with is to add a USB hard-drive for dynamic/updating data -- that will save the SD card from premature wear-out if you have a lot of file updates (logging) taking place, and give you a space to put a swap file (you do NOT want to run a swap on the SD card).

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 03:08:08 -0700 (PDT), Roger Law declaimed the following:

Not sure what "beagle bone" was being referenced... BeagleBones are single-core 32-bit ARM processors; current production is 512kB RAM (SanCloud BB Enhanced is 1GB) at 1GHz. They do, however, have 4GB on-board eMMC so do not need an add-on SD card to run. They also have a real Ethernet port along with analog I/O (RPi is strictly digital GPIO).

The BeagleBoard X15 may be a candidate with dual-core ARM at 1.5GHz,

2GB RAM, dual Gigabit Ethernet, multiple USB-3 and eSATA, graphics acceleration, and dual DSPs. -- and a cost approaching a high-end tablet or a entry-level laptop.

The UDOO X86 series have Intel processors running upwards of 2GHz and a lot more memory.

What is this focus on a web browser -- if I understand this thread, you are not running a desktop environment on the unit. You may need to run a web SERVER, that other computers connect to with web browser running on them (web browsers on an RPi aren't the liveliest things around -- so many are memory hogs that running anything complex in a browser on an RPi will require swap space, and the delays inherent in page swapping)

Dennis Lee Bieber

On a sunny day (Tue, 19 Jun 2018 23:59:01 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Roger Law wrote in :

Yes it is possible to run a raspi (even an old model) as webserver. here is my website hosted by the ISP:

and here it is running on a very old raspi (the one with only 2 USB connectors) that at the same time runs an IP security webcam: http://217.120.43.67/index1.html

Actually curious if you can see it at all, it is my backup if godaddy webhosting goes down.

But.. no Java, simple html, as it should be ;-)

Backup is offline at night after 19:00 UTC so YMMV. I just got 3.57 MB/s downloading a HD movie from that raspi apache webserver.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

? 2018?6?21???? UTC

+8??9:26:54?Benny Pedersen??? ?

ur

er

? :)

Really appreciate your help, Benny. I decided to get myself an intel atom p latform. Hope it will work. And thanks to everyone's patience, I do lack of the knowledge about hardware.

Reply to
Roger Law

As far as I can tell from

all the Beagle products have ARM CPUs.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to

I apologise. I had it ion my head that Belale Bones were INTEL.

It apperas that they too are ARM.

I was thinking of something else.

That may be it.

private property.

Karl Marx
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thnk that is a safe and versatile choice.

When you know more you may change it.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In general for compute intensive tasks - and graphics manipulations is one such - CPU is what counts.

For multi-user usage, RAM is what allows many concurrent processes to be held in RAM without swapping.

For databases where things are to large to be held IN RAM SSDs are the key to performance.