Why Have Medical Insurance?

Not sure what you mean my having to "go to the dealer for almost everything". If by going to the dealer, you mean having to take the car back to the dealer, no, that isn't true. Any decent shop will have the tools. OTOH, if you mean "go back to the dealer" for parts, well, that's what people want. They don't want aftermarket crap, so there is no aftermarket. For the oldest cars, junk yards still thrive.

Reply to
krw

NO, lefties want premiums to be based on your ability to pay. You know, as Marx taught.

Reply to
krw

The lab doesn't do paperwork. It's all automated. See above.

--

Rick C
Reply to

ts

"To each according to their needs, from each according to their abilities".

Most universal health care schemes seem to extract roughly the same amount of money from everybody who can pay, and use that to cover them and the peo ple who can't.

It works. The Marxist prescription would work too, but tends to upset the p eople with the greater ability to pay. That's how defense gets paid for, bu t the people with the greater ability to pay also feel a greater need for g ood defenses, while they think that they are less likely to get sick than t he poor.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

At least in Germany you pay a (more or less fixed) percentage of your income. So not the same amount for everybody.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

newest cars are the highest. Most of them have to go to the dealer for alm ost everything.

afaict "junk yards" are thriving even for newish cars, lots of cars isn't w orth repairing after an accident, because once the airbags deploy or parts of the crumble zones get bend it quickly gets too expensive, but many of the m echanical parts are perfectly fine for reuse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

G'day, mate, are you saying the Aussies screwed up? G'wan wit ya!

Canada's system isn't perfect either, but we all learn from each other...

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Lab work here in BC is covered under our provincial health plan.

Under $24,000 annual income - $0 Over $75,000? = $75/month Between is a sliding scale.

Most provinces in Canada are free (general tax revenue covered), BC and two others are a holdouts.

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Not here in the US! We seem to prefer to make our own mistakes because we are "special". We have a *lot* of short busses too.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I recall a gent with a company who was confronted with the idea of giving everyone a wage they would be 100% happy with. Seems there has been some research and that wage is $70,000 a year (not sure if that is before or after tax). Once salary is increased beyond that it does not appreciably add to contentment. So he gave everyone raises to $70,000. The only ones not happy with that were those making just $70,000 before.

Is the $75,000 cap on the sliding scale coincidence? I think not! Canada is just trying to get everyone to the perfect happiness point. :)

But clearly Canada's health system is being subsidized from the general fund.

--

Rick C
Reply to

"Free"/state health care for the masses is probably one of the few issues that I am in complete agreement with you on Bill.

Any "rich" country that allows millions of its children , to effectively, be devoid of health care, can not be considered "civilised" by any stretch of the imagination.

The children are blameless, and need medical protection. Period.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

We were one of the last advanced countries to eliminate slavery as well. In fact, it took a civil war to do that. I wonder if we will end up having a civil war about health care too?

--

Rick C
Reply to

s".

nt

,

be

yeh, kids don't choose their parents

We have tax paid healthcare here, with the exception of regular dentist wor k that is only covered until you are 18 and for the most part integrated into the school system

healthcare is the second largest post on the government budget at 16% which if I can do math is roughly 4000usd per year per person

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I remember a British TV show called Torchwood. One season was about an anti-epidemic where no one died, they still got sick, they just never died and so would be in perpetual care. It was no small concern that it would break the NHS bank! Yes, healthcare is one of the largest sectors in the US economy.

Healthcare "growth can be attributed to healthcare?s rapid expansion, which is mainly a result of The Affordable Care Act."

Who's not in favor of creating jobs? We get more healthcare and create more jobs! What can be wrong with that? We applaud the retention of a few hundred jobs at an air conditioning plant and decry the creation of many thousands of healthcare jobs across the country.

--

Rick C
Reply to

g.

ties".

mount

he

the

for,

eed

sick

ues

ly, be

h of

work

into

to some extend that is already going on, people live longer and longer and there are more and more advanced treatments that add years

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

In Canada health care is subsidized.

Just like everywhere else - roads, education, farmers, parks, military, police, firefighters... we all pay taxes so we have a good support system for ourselves, our families, and the rest of the people in our respective countries. Some countries do it better than others.

It's all part of being human. We care for each other.

John

Reply to
John Robertson
:

g.

ties".

mount

he

the

for,

eed

sick

ues

ly, be

h of

work

into

ion,

Healthcare costs are going up everywhere. The Affordable Care Act might hav e made a short term local difference, but it doesn't exaplim why US health care costs are half-again higher than those for any other advanced industri al country.

There are two main explanations advanced for the increased costs of health care. One is demographic shift - if the population is more or less stable, rather than expanding, there are more elderly people as a proportion of th e population and most healthcare costs are concentrated in the last 18 mont hs of life.

The other is advances in technology. We can do more to help the sick, but m ost of the extra things we can now do cost extra money. In principle advanc es in technology should also allow us to do the same jobs as before at a lo wer price, but carers like to keep on charging the same old high price for services that they can now perform more cheaply, and medicine isn't the kin d of free market where this kind of behavior is easy to squeeze out.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That's the way I think about it, everyone should have some skin in the game. Whether it's 2% or 5% of gross income, everyone should pay that before any other entity pays for anything. So you can only become a nuisance to the provider after you have paid your nut. I think that would prevent a lot of I have a cold or I have a rash appointments that go away in a week, treated or not.

Mikek

amdx

There is a reason why doctors spend years in school and more years in post-school training. They learn how to distinguish similar diseases that have widely varying repercussions. That is why a doctor will never yell at you for coming in with a cold or other common ailment.

I never knew I had allergies until one spring I thought I had a serious sore throat. The doctor told me I had no infection, it was an allergy. I've only had this one again in 10 years (this year actually, but a lot less and only for a couple of days). Had I toughed it out I would still not know I had an allergy.

Why make up problems to complain about? Seeing doctors for colds is not what makes our healthcare expensive.

--

Rick C
Reply to

So, you went to the doctor, whatever you were allergic to went away, you didn't have the problem again for 10 years. What did the doctor fix? Did you go around sampling spores for ten years to see if you were going to have symptoms?

Oh, OK, so go ahead and go to the doc for an allergy that bothers you once every 10 years. We have big costs let's not try to save the small expenses.

amdx