Failure of the Software Industry

This is a blog about the Software Industry; and the profound effect that its failure is having upon our society.

The Software Industry failed to deliver healthcare.gov. As a result, millions of people are being hurt. We did that, folks. It was our industry, our failure.

hamilton

Wow, denial and scapegoating to get the govt off the hook, ho-hum. The only surprise is that it's under the byline of a software guy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Of course the only problem with his theory is that the reality is that no one really got hurt by the healthcare.gov in terms of health care being available to them. Coverage doesn't start until January 1, 2014 whether you sign up on October 1 or December 31. Romneycare, upon which ACA is based, saw a rush of signups just before the mandate went into effect and no doubt the same will happen with the ACA.

Part of the reason for the problems with healthcare.gov can be traced back to DDOS attacks by right wing groups. The same people complaining about the problems with the web site are helping to cause the problems with the web site.

It's all much ado about nothing by opponents of the ACA that were unable to succeed at the ballot box or in court, or in public opinion polls. They like to complain.

Reply to
sms

Do you have any links to this ?

Google found over 1M. but these seem to be reporting someone else's report.

Reply to
hamilton

Not really. There was politics running the show, not to mention Friends of Obama getting paid more and more for screwing up.

I might be willing to screw up if you paid me $200 million.

Oh, your basic premise is wrong. Even if the web site worked, the O'care system is fundamentally unstable. It was designed to fail, and the software bugs just altered the near-term mode of failure.

The crucial issue is:

When Obamacare fails, and greedy bad-apple insurers are blamed, will the public buy it? Will they demand single-payer, or will they pack the House and the Senate with Republicans? The website fiasco encourages the latter.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The web site crashed in internal testing, days before they made it live.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

We're now into the witch hunt for the guilty phase, with the punishment of the innocent soon to follow. After that, I expect official praise for all those web design companies that did NOT get the government contract, and to Verizon who is somehow involved in a non-obvious manner:

The only direct references to a massive DDoS attack that I could find is at: from a company that doesn't seem to know the difference between "DoS" and "DDoS". The attack is crude and is easily tracked back to the source. Repeatedly downloading the home and about-us pages is dumb as these are probably cached by Akamai, and present no load to the healthcare.gov servers.

A massive DDoS attack on Akamai servers is unlikely to succeed for very long. There are too many gateways that will need to be attacked.

C:\>tracert

Tracing route to e7393.dscb.akamaiedge.net [23.203.231.205] over a maximum of 30 hops: (...) 6 27 ms 20 ms 20 ms eq-nap-sjc.netarch.akamai.com [206.223.116.102] 7 69 ms 21 ms 19 ms a23-203-231-205.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [23.203.231.205]

Looks like this one is in San Jose CA. Try the same traceroute from your location and it will point to a different Akamai edge server. These edge servers and web caches are shared with other Akamai customers. If there were a massive DDoS attack on healthcare.gov, it would also appear as slowdowns for other Akamai customers. It's not like Akamai lacks experience in dealing with such attacks. Really massive DDoS attacks also show up on the various internet weather report sites. They also don't last continuously for the 6 weeks that the healthcare.gov site has been operating.

Got any specific references that there's a DDoS attack and/or that it's inspired by right wing cyber terrorists?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I would hardly call the mindless trash in the "government sector" contracti ng, software industry, mainly because there is nothing industrious about th em. People get the government they deserve, and they also get lots of other things they have coming to them.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Well just don't sit there and shoot you mouth off with generalities of subject about which you know next to nothing. Show us your numerical simulation results, model description, implementation , and insightful development premises.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

About 3 million in the individual market have lost their plans so far, and tens of millions are in the works.

Some of those people are currently sick, relying on those plans they paid for. But if those plans didn't include free abortion pills, or lactation services for a guy, Obamacare just killed 'em.

Obama's cancelling lots of people's plans when they need them most, far far more than any insurance company ever did.

Lots of those people can't handle it--they're sick, they're desperate. Here's one:

Obamacare just killed more people than any domestic mass shooting, ever.

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Got to get those Christians out of the way >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Wrong. How many man hours were wasted trying to access the Obama Care web site? Dan

Reply to
dcaster

e system

gs just

bject about which you know next to nothing. Show us your numerical simulati on results, model description, implementation , and insightful development premises.

Not to worry, the old system had the government headed for fiscal collapse[1], but Obamacare's extra bureaucracy, taxes, and paperwork cover 10% more people for free, pays for everything, costs less, pays for all the drugs and procedures everyone needs, subsidizes everyone, and chops the deceit^H^H^H^Hficit. You'll save $2,500 a year.

And you can keep your plan.[2]

Sweeeet.

Cheers, James Arthur

------------ [1] Obama, 9/9/2009: "Finally, our health care system is placing an unsusta inable burden on taxpayers. When health care costs grow at the rate they h ave, it puts greater pressure on programs like Medicare and Medicaid. If w e do nothing to slow these skyrocketing costs, we will eventually be spendi ng more on Medicare and Medicaid than every other government program combin ed. Put simply, our health care problem is our deficit problem. Nothing e lse even comes close. Nothing else."

[2] Obama, 9/9/2009: "Here are the details that every American needs to kno w about this plan. First, if you are among the hundreds of millions of Ame ricans who already have health insurance through your job, or Medicare, or Medicaid, or the VA, nothing in this plan will require you or your employer to change the coverage or the doctor you have. (Applause.) Let me repeat this: Nothing in our plan requires you to change what you have." [...] ( Applause.)

"As soon as I sign this bill, it will be against the law for insurance comp anies to drop your coverage when you get sick or water it down when you nee d it the most.[...]"

(Applause.) "And insurance companies will be required to cover, with no ex tra charge, routine checkups and preventive care, like mammograms and colon oscopies -- (applause) -- because there's no reason we shouldn't be catchin g diseases like breast cancer and colon cancer before they get worse. That makes sense, it saves money, and it saves lives. (Applause.)"

"Now, that's what Americans who have health insurance can expect from this plan -- more security and more stability."

(Unless it leaves out freebies, in which case we'll cancel it for you when you need it most.)

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

It's failure of government policy in shaping the Software Industry. They could have picked thousands of other companies to do it right.

It would have been the same with friends of Mr. Republican.

I would be willing to screw up for free, but charge for fixing the mistakes. That's how government contacting works anyway. The more you screw up, the bigger the fix-up contract.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I assume the $600 million cost came out of...?

Reply to
RobertMacy

It's over five million, now. That's policies canceled, so it's more like 15M people.

Note that 'em = them. They will be dead BECAUSE of Obamacare.

But it's for the children!

Reply to
krw

that its failure is having upon our society.

millions of people are being hurt. We did that, folks. It was our industry , our failure.

he only surprise is that it's under the byline of a software guy.

no one really got hurt by the healthcare.gov in terms of health care being available to them.

d tens of millions are in the works.

they paid for. But if those plans didn't include free abortion pills, or l actation services for a guy, Obamacare just killed 'em.

most, far far more than any insurance company ever did.

ere's one:

780446

There's no evidence that even Edie Littlefield Sundby is dead yet, and if s he dies, the Obamacare won't be the leading suspect. As she says, she's luc ky to have survived as long as she has and even her familiar cancer care te am is going to be very lucky if they can keep her going much longer.

Clearly, she can get lined up with a different clinical team, but - natural ly - doesn't want to. Getting excited about this is something of a waste of effort. Statistically speaking she's dead already.

Extrapolating form one incipient death to "more than any domestic mass shoo ting ever" is the kind of rhetorical hyperbole we've come to expect from Ja mes Arthur, who swift to post statical evidence when it can be construed to support his daft points of view, but brazen about posting total nonsense w hen there isn't something handy for him to misinterpret.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Politics, ego, and every other detrimental human characteristic have a role to play here. Even a credible leak will have to be checked, and there is an almost endless list of explantations that management can use, from allegations that the leaker has an axe to grind, to claims that the leaker is just plain incompetent. The message is next to impossible to get out in an effective way while so many people have an incentive to supress it.

So it's not so easy for an engineer to get the word out in a way that will stop these things from happening. The most they're likely to achieve is getting themselves fired, plus the joy of being able to say "See, I was right" from the soup line.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Coming soon: An Executive Order requiring that the words and phrases "bug", "error", "excessive delay", "failure" and "problem" be deleted from all Federally- originated documents that mention the ACA/Obamacare, to be replaced with such phrases as "undocumented feature", "measured response time", and "continuing improvement".

( Once, many _many_ years ago -- the 1970s? -- a Data Processing trade journal -- Datamation? -- published a satire on large system software development that described the process in detail, including -- IIRC -- the phrase "And another happy hour". I'd quote it here, but even Google hasn't been able to locate it for me. Sigh. )

Frank McKenney

--
  Human rights reflect a profound advance in both moral thinking and
  political action.  But, at the same time, rights suffer from some of

It was doomed from the start - there is no way to built something that big and complex in so little time.

The clock starts only when the final rules are available. The

2,700-page law lacks the necessary details, depending on HHS to do the work to flesh out the law into rules that can be programmed.

The final rules were only promulgated and released after the presidential election. Then the detail programming began.

The decision to remove the ability to browse (and price) without registering was made very late in the game, throwing a wrench into the works.

Here is some information on software blob sizes:

Think about how long it took to get these various things to work reasonably well.

Joe Gwinn

By the way, I made my living for 20 or 30 years as a programmer (later called a software engineer), eventually becoming a software architect.

Reply to
Joe Gwinn