Who are the Tarriffs Helping???

I'm going through the BOM for a product to find alternatives for the passiv es that are hard to get these days. I've noticed that a number of parts in dicate "tariff applied". Can someone explain to me how these tariffs are h elping the US be competitive when it results in our costs being higher and our profit margins being thinner? We can talk about raising prices, but wh en competing in markets where only we are paying tariffs all this does it t o put us at a disadvantage.

I'm not seeing much about this in the press. Is anyone other than vendors who are impacted even aware this is happening?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Resurrect all the factories that were dumped on the scrap heap in the last 30 years?

I bet the west has lost the ability to even re-start those......

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

People have been whinging about "infrastructure" for decades.

It would be a mistake to think it's accidental, or just ignored, on the back burner.

There are two types of actors at play here: those that wish to build up society, obtaining their wealth through taxation; and those that wish to destroy society, obtaining their wealth through ownership of resources.

Make no mistake, both types of actors subscribe to both US political parties. They skew more one way than the other, but not enough to make a generalization.

As, I assume, a regular citizen, it is vastly greater in your favor to vote for the types of actors that wish to build up society. While taxes will be higher, wealth will be vastly higher, and more evenly distributed. If you cannot understand why anyone would move to the city -- well, I guess this argument is lost on you.

The cold, hard, economic fact is: cities are more prosperous, have more connections between people, and between businesses; have more diversity; have lower costs for those connections (and distribution of goods, and..), and so on. (And yes, that goes as much for positive business as negative -- criminal -- action. They're proportional, i.e., no worse per-capita.)

Then again, if you own a lot of capital, you probably want to protect your investment by stifling any possible competition, and reducing the connectivity and diversity of your would-be-competitors' environments. Some excellent ways to do that: relax, defund or remove regulations on your type of business; contribute large sums of money to legislators who will follow your interests; prevent opponents from being elected by making life hard for their supporters; etc.

Now it becomes very clear why roads are chronically underfunded, or certain legislators are so concerned about "voter IDs", or a variety of other hot-button issues that are so widely promoted today. Infrastructure being a relatively long-lived thing, tends to be the average over time of both opposing actions. Whether it's flourishing or crumbling, tells you about which kind is dominant in that area.

Don't forget to apply the same principle to "the marketplace of ideas". Spreading FUD is a tried and true method to disconnect people from reason. The Russian (and now Iranian too) troll farms have promoted divisive subjects -- not with any particular direction to them, because partisan subjects still motivate one party. No, spreading FUD and rage and division demotivates both sides -- much more effective.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

There are a lot of nations in the world that might say to themselves "Say before we start thinking about working on driverless cars, personal hoverdrone pods, and 1000 mph intercity hyperspace transport loops let's try to get just regular intercity steel-wheel rail service back up to France-in-1976 standards. nah. let's do some Jetsons pods."

Reply to
bitrex

Not quite.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Tariffs? What tariffs - your president says there aren't any:

Transcript:

(to read this transcript you need to be a subscriber of the WSJ, but there are lots of stories about it out there - and it can't be fake news if the president says it, can it?)

John

Reply to
John Robertson

ives that are hard to get these days. I've noticed that a number of parts indicate "tariff applied". Can someone explain to me how these tariffs are helping the US be competitive when it results in our costs being higher an d our profit margins being thinner? We can talk about raising prices, but when competing in markets where only we are paying tariffs all this does it to put us at a disadvantage.

s who are impacted even aware this is happening?

Why don't you ship your parts to an assembly house in Mexico? Digikey only imposes the taxes (tariffs) for US recipients.

--sp

Reply to
speff

WOW! Total logical inversion.

Everything from factories to wildlife preserves are more successful and better maintained when privately owned.

New York City was farther to the left for most of the 20th century, during which time its taxes were high, and its infrastructure crumbled.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Not just NYC. _All_ major cities.

Reply to
krw

ack

te

be

,

ome

pe

for

in

g a

.

on

Why do you say roads in the US are "chronically" underfunded??? I see exce llent roads nearly everywhere I go.

The rest of your post seems to be a lot of unsubstantiated claims and missi ng logic to connect your ideas. Who gets their wealth by taxation other th an the government??? Isn't it businesses and wealthy people who "own resou rces"? While that may sound bad such as monopolies and manipulation of mar kets, but it is an essential part of the economy and works if the governmen t prevents the misuse of economic power (which doesn't always happen).

But I think you are talking about something different without explaining it .

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

make

taxes

e city

;

ess as

rse

ing or

rage

In this country (USA) passenger rail service may not be dead, but it is lar gely disused. Rail serves around 6% as many passenger miles as airlines. The problem is too large to be fixed. The places where rail is effective h ave much shorter travel distances and more advantageous geographies. Japan for example has its major population centers mostly along a line near the coast. It doesn't take a lot of rail to serve that population. The US wou ld require many times more miles of high speed rail with questionable retur ns.

There's only a very few interested in "Jetson" pods. Why point them out as if they were the mainstream?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

ssives that are hard to get these days. I've noticed that a number of part s indicate "tariff applied". Can someone explain to me how these tariffs a re helping the US be competitive when it results in our costs being higher and our profit margins being thinner? We can talk about raising prices, bu t when competing in markets where only we are paying tariffs all this does it to put us at a disadvantage.

ors who are impacted even aware this is happening?

Is this one of those parody web sites, WSJ?

Mr. Trump: It?s so much nonsense, OK. This is your story. We don ?t even have tariffs. I?m using tariffs to negotiate. I mea n, other than some tariffs on steel?which is actually small, what d o we have? I didn?t put them on the USMCA. We have a trade deal. I didn?t put them on in South Korea. We have a trade deal. That was t he worst deal. That was a deal made by Hillary Clinton. It was a horrible d eal. We made it into a sound deal.

But I didn?t put tariffs. Where do we have tariffs? We don? t have tariffs anywhere. I read that today: We?re worried about the tariffs. You know what happens? A business that?s doing badly alwa ys likes to blame Trump and the tariffs because it?s a good excuse for some incompetent guy that?s making $25 million a year.

WSJ: Just to go back to the Fed for a second?

Mr. Trump: But think of it, Michael. We don?t have tariffs. Where d o we have tariffs? I?m talking tariffs. I?ll use tariffs. I mean it. I?ve said I was going to put tariffs on European Union ca rs, right? They came to my office. We made the concept of a deal. We? ?ll see what happens. But they agreed to a deal that they wouldn? t even talk about. There?s no tariffs.

Ok, from the Commander in Chief. We have no tariffs.

So obviously we won't be seeing any benefits to our employment or econonmy from tariffs.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

:

ssives that are hard to get these days. I've noticed that a number of part s indicate "tariff applied". Can someone explain to me how these tariffs a re helping the US be competitive when it results in our costs being higher and our profit margins being thinner? We can talk about raising prices, bu t when competing in markets where only we are paying tariffs all this does it to put us at a disadvantage.

ors who are impacted even aware this is happening?

y imposes the taxes (tariffs) for US recipients.

Lol, that's where I send my finished product, to a contract assembly house in Mexico where they do the rack and stack. Maybe I could get them to make my boards cheaper than here. lol!

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Depends. I noticed the roads in the Twin Cities area were /fantastic/ when I visited. Higher speed limits too, and that's with having to deal with lots of snow.

They may've been new back then, no idea. What looks best in the metro area, and all that.

Everyone who has a stake in the government. Follow the money on your defense dollars, for example. Why does the F35 have to be made in literally* every congressional distrinct? Why does it /still/ barely work?

*Not literally. Just a whole hell of a lot of them.

Answer: killing off pork barrel that affects the jobs in a hundred areas, is a whole hell of a lot harder to do than a few-county pet project.

Yes, exactly. If they're lobbying to tear down regulation of those systems, who do you think is the first suspect behind that lobbying?

I would argue it is /always/ happening, it is an ongoing process, an eternal balance. As power -- economic value -- shifts, so too does the balance of for-and-against.

Could be. Not like anyone's going to notice; newsgroups are a nearly disconnected relic of the internet.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

I think this is a fine example of Poe's law. There is no way to tell from the quotation below if this is parody or real.

Reply to
David Brown

Same with NASA and the shuttle. DOD and NASA should get an overall budget and let the department decide how to spend it.

Anyone who thinks spending 1 dollar of every 8 on compliance with regulations is unreasonable.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Japan also has 747's specially made by Boeing for short trips. They use them for massive commuter flights. Obviously we just don't have the need for it, but some people get insecure when they see other nations with something we don't have.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Like a universal health care program?

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Tell me you aren't serious - this is a transcript of a discussion between Mr. Trump and real journalists. It is what it is, an example of how Mr. Trump speaks and thinks.

on?t

er than

? I

?t put them

?t have

ariffs.

kes to

ere do

. I mean it.

ight?

ee what

Alienating friends of the US is not the way to strengthen your country -

many of which countries are now looking at forming free-trade zones that

do not necessarily include the USA. This is what happens when you abrogate treaties and literally push people around.

He couldn't do a better job of weakening your country internationally if

he was a sock puppet for Putin...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Yeah, that might also be just insecurity in some people, but of course people on the same side have different motives. A common argument is that we spend more than other nations, whereas we spend half of it in the last year of life. We choose to do that, but in other nations they are more budgeted, like the value assigned to the life of THX1138. And we're told that more preventive examinations would save money, the implication being that we have less when we actually have many more colonoscopies and mamograms, again because we are free to choose that.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso