Health Insurance Increases

My Family of 4 health insurance increases for the last 3 years.

Mar 2010 7.7% increase. Mar 2011 8.1% increase. Mar 2012 19.4% increase.

I have BCBS of Florida.

Anyone else care to post comparisons for me to look at?

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

40% in two years? Obama will fix that for you :-) ...Jim Thompson

Yep. Slippery little bastard just had his HHS lackey Sebelius move 2 Million "poor" people on Medicare to a voucher system... while chastising the GOP about their version. ...Jim Thompson

And Romney will fix it so that you can't buy anyway.

So it will be 0% increase a year from now on.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

The real fix would be to allow ALL insurance companies to compete across state borders.

And doing away with Medicare as we presently know it. Medicare pays at a small fraction of billed rates, so everyone else's medical costs rise to compensate.

But the electorate is ignorant, so I predict we'll look like Russia in a few years. ...Jim Thompson

More Bullshark. When I worked in the industrial parts industry we had four price columns depending on how good a customer they were. The insurance companies get the best price the health care industry will give because they are large volume users.

The question is, why should I pay a GP $120 for an office visit when they happily accept $55 from patients with insurance?

Too bad we can't look like Great Britain where every one can get free health care, including visitors. That's why they ask you about your health before they let you into the country.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Where is this "free" health care? Someone must pay for it. Therefor, it is not free.

I guarantee you that when the government gets involved, it will be much more expensive. Hell, they are adding 6000 new IRS agents just to start. Who will pay for them?

Reply to
tm

Ask any Veteran you know about 'free' VA medical care. You WON'T like what you hear.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The only ones talking about it being "free" are the detractors. The insurance is paid for, the insurance pays for the health care.

I find it funny that while everyone is all up in arms over the government doing something to deal with the lack of health care in the US, the real problem is the rising cost of health care. But no one even seems to notice the rising water pooling at their feet. Once it reaches their ankles maybe they will notice.

If the government stays out of health care, in ten years it will be so expensive that employers will no longer be able to pay the lion's share of the costs. Years ago they started requiring employees to pay some of the insurance premium and started raising the deductibles. A friend who is a teacher was very upset a couple of years ago when she realized her insurance had a $250 deductible. Imagine how she would feel if it were $2500 like mine has been for some years now.

What will you do when your health care insurance is paid completely out of your pocket? Maybe you'll just pay for health care out of your pocket with no insurance? Yeah, right!

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I have never had a problem with getting health care. I have always had suitable and affordable insurance. Sure, there are things I would like to see changed. One would be as JT stated, open up the market nation wide.

Put controls on the lawyers, i.e. loser pays. How about co-ops for insurance with some tax advantages to encourage it. As to your complaints, would it not be nice if you could do like on your auto policy - choose how much deductible and therefor savings you wish?

Don't you get pissed at all the 1-800-BAD-DRUG commercials you see where the ambo chasers are running wild playing the jury lottery?

I'm an old fart and really don't care how bad it gets for you in the future. After all, you made that bed.

Reply to
tm

Buzzzz. Wrong answer. Insurance companies like to say that but in reality they want to prices to be high. Margin is the keyword here. The bigger the turnover the bigger their profit. Insurance companies don't care about the price. Their customers will pay anyway.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

The opposite of reality. Doctors charge less when the patient doesn't have insurance.

Naturally if the gov pays for anything then it's free. That's why we should buy 20 more aircraft carriers. They're free after all.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Of course. He promised you'd be able to keep your private insurance if you wanted to, so predictably he's driving the price up.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Hmm... My deductible is $10,000, been that for about three years. When I made the change from $2,500 to $10,000 deductible, my premium dropped from $9,900 to $4,300. It's now up to $6,276.00.

Reply to
amdx

FREE; adjective. An item or service received by one, that is paid for by the blood, sweat and tears, of the 50% of hardworking Americans that pay taxes.

I suggest that when ever the word "free" is used describing any government benefit, it be changed to the above description.

Talk to your congressman. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

FREE; adjective. An item or service received by one, that is paid for by the blood, sweat and tears, of the 50% of hardworking Americans that are taxpayers.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Reality is a little different. Wh6at doctors charge isn't what doctors collect. They collect *less* from insurance.

Think of the jobs 20 aircraft carriers would create!

Reply to
krw

Government funding the mandated insurance plans? What planet are YOU on????

All the government will do is the mandate, oh, and fund a huge beauracracy to implement and oversee that mandate. The COST of that mandate will come out of those unlucky enough to have to actually PAY for their healthcare. I know mine went up last time because I now have coverage for pregnancy and menopause, which, if I should use it, would be big news!

As for AFFORDABLE, the law just says that the insurance companies have to offer the insurance, not how much they have to charge for it! I am waiting to see how much the coverage for folks with existing conditions is actually going to cost them!

Reply to
Charlie E.

No, the insurance companies get the best prices because they require the doctors and hospitals to give them the best rates, usually at a discount to the 'cash' price. If a doctor gets caught giving you insurance rates when you pay cash, the insurance company comes back and requires the doctor to pay even less, even though it costs the doc a lot less to accept your cash or CC directly than deal with the insurance company BS.

You can't win, you can't break even, and you can't leave the game!

Reply to
Charlie E.

BZZZZ! Nope, wrong again. If a doc gets caught charging less for non-insured, or even charging the same as insured, he is violating the terms of his 'contract' with the insurance companies, and they can adjust THEIR rates down to a fraction of what he just charged the non-insured.

Some may do it, but they will put the full amount on their books...

Reply to
Charlie E.