Why are they called "resistors"

wiped

Seems like 1G ohms isn't exotic territory.

I don't have any glass-body resistors, but I do have a reed relay capsule, sort of the same thing. I was going to mount it on a Pomona plug and stick it in the Keithley, and play with fingerprints, but I figured I'd do just the Pomona plug first. Fresh out the factory bag, handled with Kimwipes, it's about 9e12 ohms! So I can't use that.

I fingerprinted the Pomona as hard as I could, every nook and cranny, and it's at 8e12 ohms and still creeping up a little. Fingerprints are

*not* impressive conductors, at least mine aren't.

The Keithley does pin the needle on the 1e14 ohms range with an open input. It takes about half an hour to get there. Even a few pF is a big deal at 1e14 ohms!

I wonder if air ionization from an americium source would show up as ohms. I bet it would.

John

AlwaysWrong obviously doesn't understand the difference. That "numbers" thing, you know.

Reply to
krw

He gets nervous and thinks it says n*****ts...

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Let's see... a twenty year old, bought used, and never calibrated turd. It has nothing to do with the brand or what the instrument was when it was an instrument.

Yep. I'd say that my opinion of your gear is spot on!

You also HAVE a wealth of lack-o-knowledge.

I "did" measurements years ago, Johnny. AND I know the ins and outs of HV. A subject you seem more and more as if you are completely clueless about, particularly of late.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Yet you are oblivious as to my response (as usual), or you would not have been so retarded as to make a redundant appearance of it.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

I would bet you that Keithley would not want that POS either.

They would gladly sell you something that does work, though.

Since you do not know a goddamned thing about electronics, much less HV, why don't you stay the f*ck out of the thread?

You know... FUCK OFF AND DIE, stalk boy.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Which is absolutely why it is now contended that you do not know a goddamned thing about HV. The contention is correct, and correctly placed. It does not *seem* that way to me. It is a hard fact. You are dirt dumb about HV.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

I've checked it, and it's pretty good. You saw what it reported for a

1G resistor. It seems pretty good at 1T, within 10% at least, which isn't bad up there.

I have a home-made pA tester thing:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/99A260A1.JPG

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/99A260A3.JPG

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/99S260A.JPG

It can measure resistor ratios up to at least 1T ohms. So you can start with a resistor that a good benchtop DVM can measure accurately, like 1M or 10M, and do a series of ratiometric measurements all the way up to 1T, and it's traceable all the way back down. I have a chain of resistors, mounted on Pomona dual banana plugs, from 1K all the way up to 1T ohms.

There's an axiom (made up by me) that all you need to do accurate dimensionless ratio measurements is patience.

My home-made ratio chain agrees with the Keithley pretty well. And the Keithley agrees with all the high-ohm resistors I bought or got as samples. So I trust it.

You never measure anything. You never do math. You never present mumbers. You never discuss electronics, except to claim how much you know, with no proof whatsoever.

You claimed here, not long ago, that it was impossible to measure even a 10M resistor.

John

I have done space applications, idiot.

What have you made that has gone on space shuttle missions in experiments?

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

He was around some HV stuff once, and that's all he knows.

John

Are you saying that *after* they fail in HV circuits, they still test good at low voltage?

John

...that he was around it? That makes perfect sense.

Reply to
krw

I have several hundred of the resistors, I'll sell you. The wires are sad. You soldered crimp connections? Sheesh.

Wouldn't a CLCC have been a better choice? (you might have to look that up). Bwuahaha! Mil version for dip at the very least. Looks clean though despite the incorrect cleaning facility usage.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Did you "clean" the walls of the hole with diamond after?

Even after the head makes the hole, the drill shaft will metallize the piss out of it if you do not watch it.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

The effects are rather nebulous, John.

Do you know what that term means in this context?

Don't run off Johnny cocked thinking of some other lame Johnny cocked definition.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Note also the reason they give, which the entire industry follows:

Quote:

Handling and Cleaning of RX-1M Resistors

These glass encapsulated resistors, especially those of higher resistance value, require extraordinary cleanliness. These resistors should be handled by the leads, unless gloves are worn. Fingerprints on the surface of the resistor will attract contaminants and moisture, which will cause a parallel resistance path, reducing the resistance value of the device. If cleaning should become necessary, use isopropyl alcohol and lightly wipe dry with lint free tissues such as Kimwipes.

Note the mention of "parallel paths".

But of course, I must have made it up.

I must be arcing over via the tiny gaps in the contamination of my brain. :-) Wonder where those came from... (the contaminants, not the gaps)

From listening to the tripe the Larkinettes have been posting.

Thanks, John.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

I didn't do that. As I noted, it was designed by chemists.

John

It's not my design.

John

The field may be there (not likely), but it needs to be larger to be "an influence".

The test is on bare FR4 with a node at each end. Make about 25 of them, test them all after cleaning to see that they "match", then experiment with various contaminants and amounts thereof.

You have to pass successively higher potentials through them and not current flow.

You do it with a picoammeter.

We spent three years researching better tube sockets for F-4 PMT supplies before we found the least leaky medium.

Regardless of construction, assembler hand (finger) contact would always cause a FAIL at test.

They were of the 1.5kV excitation level, and surface mount (1206), then

0805 resistors were used on a non masked PCB layout.

I posted that layout already (the radial leaded version).

The whole supply gets press fitted into its can after the cleaning and potting and baking and testing takes place, then it gets tested again after being canned.

It takes a lot of process control to keep the yields high. Sorry no actual numbers were put up for you, John. You'll just have to rest assured that failures did occur, and contaminated resistance paths were the reason in every case short of a hard component failure.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Resistance paths are the same paths the leakage will follow.

That surface (the resistor itself) will make a carbon trail so fine that you cannot see it short of electron microscopy.

Each time an electron passes through a contaminant, and can leave behind carbon molecules and aide itself in reaching the attractor (other node).

ALL without a hard arcing event.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan