Why are they called "resistors"

Why do they call them "resistors"? When you connect two in parallel each produces less resistance in the other.

Karen Stone

Reply to
Karen Stone

Hmmm, there's no interaction. The current sums, while the voltage remains constant. (for an ideal voltage source) and so the resistance R=3D V/I is 1/2 that of a single resistor.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's an ethnic thing. If they were to be named nowadays, it would be a whole nuther waxball.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

We should call them "dodgers."

John

But can you find them in 0.1 % tolerance?

tm

Reply to
tm

...you mean they are all "migrating" to Canada?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Found a batch of 100 meggers, 0.1 tolerance, and fairly cheap (but that was years ago).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hello Karen

Actually a (carbon) resistor is also a (semi)-conductor !

A 1 kilo-ohm resistor has a conductance of 1/(1000 ohm) = 0.001 siemens (historically designated mho)

A 2.5 kilo-ohm resistor has a conductance of 1/(2500 ohm) = 0.0004 siemens

When paralleling the above (1 kilo-ohm, 2.5 kilo-ohm) you get a conductance of:

(0.001 siemens) + (0.0004 siemens) = 0.0014 siemens

If you want the resistance you inverse: 1/(0.0014 siemens) ca.= 714 ohm.

-

The above summation of conductances works for many more paralleled resistors/(semi)-conductors !

-

Links for further reading:

Physics proporties:

Physics behind the above:

We do not yet know how a Superconductor works, but we use them anyway:

-

Electrical components:

-

Glenn

No. They both keep their same resistance, and the two of them together add up to more current being passed, therefore the total resistance to flow is less. The two in parallel do not act where one alters the others value. That is not what happens.

It is more like having one "pipe for flow, and then adding one more next to it. The one continues to flow, and the new addition also flows. The total flow is more, so the "resistance" to flow has to be less.

The overall value of resistance to flow is less, even though both pipe still flow just as they did alone.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Bullshit.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

That wasn't a very Christian comment. It didn't make sense, either. I guess you woke up and needed to type your favorite word.

John

Bwuahahahahahha!

Read up on that part where Jesus stated that all one needed was faith in him.

You lose, as usual.

You claim an education, yet demonstrate an utter lack thereof.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

More presumptuous horseshit, Johnny Shithead.

I am closer to Christ than you will ever be, you making a retarded remark like that.

You know NOTHING about me, idiot.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Not Democrats?

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Or just use "reciprocal" and don't waste your time looking at all that crap..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

You *did* also touch it before testing. It has a blanket of your stench sweat ooze on it, idiot.

You need to start with a freshly cleaned part. Hot 99% IPA will do it. It takes less than 15 seconds in the mw oven to do about an ounce.

Clean it with that, and you should see it go UP.

Then, report back with your apology.

Oh... that's right... your instrument probably sucks. We'll see.

So, you are telling the world that you have no clue about these parts being sensitive to voltage stress? Do you even know what 'creepage' is?

I was referring to the term "pomona" you absolute ditz.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

I tried wiping it down with a clean dry Kimwipe. Measures 0.995 Gohm.

Tried cleaning with alcohol. Same measurement.

Tried cleaning with acetone. Same measurement.

Tried a bunch of fingerprints. No change.

Conclusion: these resistors aren't easily contaminated at the 1G ohm level.

It's a 1G resistor. Why would it go UP?

The dual banana plug is the "Pomona." I said

"The blue thing on the Pomona is an epoxy-diped 1G resistor, stock from Digikey."

Try thinking a little before you go off tenth-cocked.

John

It was lower from being dirty, dufus.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

I will sell you one - maybe even two from the batch of 10 that i have. But with your attitude, i reserve the right to limit your quantity to one if you persist. If you get really nasty, i will offer to GIVE one to someone in thei NG that appears to be trustworthy and who wil VERIFY the value.

Reply to
Robert Baer

ave.

ei