Where is pin 1?

It generally goes clockwise from the marker when the pins are viewed from the bottom of the part, CCW when viewed from the top. If you know the part #, you can probably find a datasheet on the web that would clear up your doubts.

-- john

Reply to
quiasmox

I have a DIP chip that has a notch on one side and a big dot on another (opposite) side. I am a little bit confused as to where pin 1 is. I think that it's to the left of the notch, if I hold the notch upwards, but I am not sure. Why s there a dot if there is also a notch?

Ignoramus8243

bottom view, pin 1 is clock wise to the notch most likely.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Manufacturer and part number?

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Look in the data sheet- this will tell you.

Fred Bloggs

I can't imagine what you mean. Scan it and post in abse perhaps ?

In the meantime get the data sheet ! What is the part btw ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That's a really obtuse answer ! Who looks at the bottom view ? Will the markings be visible from the bottom ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

It has been a standard since the 1930s.

Octal valve pins were counted clockwise from the spigot, later all-glass vales were counded clockwise from a pip or a missing pin. It made sense if you were looking at the valveholders on the underside of a chassis.

When ICs were introduced, exactly the same system was use - but some manufacturers began to confuse the issue by printing the diagrams as anti-clockwise viewed from above. It still made sense from the underside of a printed circuit board, the designer and serviceman just had to remember that the data book was printed backwards.

On a lot of IC packages, the pisition of Pin 1 *was* marked so it could be seen from the bottom (e.g. a notch in one end of the package, from which you count clockwise).

Sounds as though they are still keeping to the standard.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk