Determine Pin Orientation when no notch

on

The line has always been at the notch end on any chip I've ever seen.

Reply to
Mike Silva

How the heck do you determine the first pin when there is no notch or any special char or anything at all except a line and text? Does the line on the side indicate the top? On the datasheet it shows the normal dot where the first pin is but there is no dot on the chip itself ;/

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

BTW, the chip is the TMP275. It has a long line at the top or bottom(not on pins sides) and some text.

  • * * * | TI TMP275 | etc | * * * *

the | is the line and * are the pins

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Did you read the spec? The package drawing shows the beveled edge being on the pin 1 side.

DJ Delorie

Page 15 of the PDF shows the mechanical drawing of the package.

The overhead diagram shows the bevel on the bottom edge, and the end view (middle right) shows an extra bevel on one side (edge) and not the other.

No, it doesn't have a big NOTE: BEVEL MEANS PIN ONE to make it obvious, but sometimes it's these subtle things you have to look for.

It does have a "Pin 1 Index Area" note, though, so if there's something that might be a mark in one of the corners, that would be it. If there's a line along one edge, the corner it passes through should be the pin 1 mark.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

SOIC but not sure why that matters

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

The line has always been at the notch end on any chip I've ever seen.

Thats the way it seems and was my first thought but just making sure.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Huh? Where does it talk about beveled edge? And FYI all the edges are beveled.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Oh, its suppose to be more beleved than the others? hmm... so why does the

2nd page show a dot where pin one is but on the ic there is no dot?

Your right though, one side of the ic is more beveled than the other. This is a strange way of getting across which pin is #1... specially when it shows a dot and says "Note: Pin 1 is determined by orienting the package as indicated in the diagram" and the diagram only uses a dot(no bevels). I did look at the eng. drawing but didn't notice the bevel being any more than the others. (when looking down on the package they all look about the same to me.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

On any DIP-like package I've seen, pin 1 is at the bottom left if you hold the package so the text is readable.

If you look at the "D" package drawing on page 15 of the datasheet, you will see that the pin 1 - 4 edge has a 45 degree bevel, while the pin 5 - 8 side doesn't - this is also a common convention on many packages.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca