Where did "RUN" go?

My old IBM Model M keyboard refused to run with the current Intel mobo, I wonder if it is a speed issue (clock rate) or maybe signal level issue?

Maybe I could try a couple pullups on the clock and data lines, anyone struck this? Would work if it's a TTL vs CMOS signal level issue? Hmm, what value pullup? 330R? 220R? Might go try it. Need distraction from need to go to the dentist today...

Current in use Dell keyboard is worn, so the wider keys (those that used to have wire mechanical helpers) tend to snag on the way down.

I don't miss the windoze flag ;)

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Yeah, but haven't you also mentioned you have a closest full of dead keyboards and mice too? :-)

Keyboard prices are all over the map, and unfortunately I don't think there's always that great of a correlation between price and quality. I have worn off the lettering on some

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Not dead ones... live ones. My keyboards outlast my PC's. I _do_ seem to wear old mice though... they start sending double-clicks when single clicked :-(

The only recent problem I had with a keyboard was a Belkin that drew too much USB current and kept my KVM from working. Switching to a $20 Logitech keyboard fixed it. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

To answer own question, I opened up the IBM, added a couple 300R pullups and replaced a couple 47uF electros on general principles, and it now works on that Intel (DP965LT) mobo that I've had since 2007. At the time I simply plugged in a different keyboard, but they wear out too fast.

Got the noisy clacky IBM again. Keyboard made in the USA, April '93.

No unnecessary keys on this one, just lots of noise and keys that work!

OP: Was only the Shutdown option displayed because of windows update wanted a restart? MSFT do that on Win7, dunno if they do it on WinXP as well now, 'cos I only do manual updates on the dual boot WinXP boxes.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

I used to use IBM PS/2 buckling spring keyboards exclusively (they threw them away by the skid-full when I worked at IBM). It took me over 17 years to kill the one off my PS/2. Unfortunately, my ThinkPad doesn't like PS/2 keyboards, so had to replace the one I was using. I bought a USB buckling spring keyboard from Unicomp (pckeyboard.com). They're expensive ($70), though.

Reply to
krw

Regedit, msconfig, FURget others (listed these in frequency of use from hardly ever toward almost never).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Wall, hain't eggzaktly original 1980 boat-anchor clicker, 'tiz a mite old.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That's missing on my 20+ year old IBM AT keyboard. (Which you'd have to pry from my dead cold hands to take away...)

Reply to
JW

You can still get buckling-spring keyboards from a couple of places... these keys appear to be the most popular:

(and some of them do have Windows/Mac/Linux keys).

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Ok, I forgot the command prompt. I do use it once in a while, too. I don't ever remember needing RUN, though.

Reply to
krw

Keyboards are made in China...

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What? No bright red PANIC buttons?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You can get cheap PS/2 to USB converters for keyboards.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Too bad these are sold out:

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So are flags.

Fifty stars and thirteen stripes all right.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

keyboards

off

home

Cute ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Mine's made in the USA, though the PCB inside was made in Hong Kong.

IBM Model M, complete with the coffee dams and overflows and the long lead with curly cord :)

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Not all of them. Some Dollar Tree stores had Chinese made 'American' flags with more than 50 stars.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Subcontracted by Henry Ford on the old 'Model T' production line, no doubt. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

keyboards

there's

off

see

home

They sold out fast. I saw them, and they were gone before I could order a couple. I wanted them, for some work with Veterans.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell