What's the Toughest Branch in Electronics?

Fred Bloggs hath wroth:

I've used Narda survey meters for measuring broadcast transmitter field strength and mountain top radio site safety limits.

I've never dived inside to see how they work because I didn't want to wreck the calibration.

I didn't think they were that crude. Not all probes use thermistors. The EMR-300 series uses diode detectors.

However, I wasn't trying to turn a microwave leakage detector into an RF field survey instrument. What I was looking for is something upon which to build a 2.4 GHz RF signal strength meter suitable for direction finding (or sniffing) for sources of non-802.11 interference. The problem with the typical "hot spot finder" is that they only detect 802.11 signals, and are set to ignore everything else. I ended up with an abomination something like this:

but with a proper PCB, a tiny microwave diode instead of a WWII antique, a proper horn antenna, a 2.4GHz bandpass filter, and some local DC gain. I would post a picture but there's not much to see.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

:-)))

However, I have met people who started an electronics company and later sold it. Then bought themselves a nice big airplane and all that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I'd rather have the electronics company.

John

Actually one of them went back. He didn't sell, just had enough money, kept the company, hired good managers and retired at around 45. He told me that playing golf and stuff didn't cut it. Said you meet a lot of older people who talk about ailments a lot.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

--
Why not?
Reply to

Yeah. You could pay to play golf, and never be as good as the pro, or get paid to play with electronics, and be very good at it.

John

Interesting that you brought that up. I knew a guy who was just retired and played golf regularly. Not someone famous whom you see on the golf channel all the time, or ever, for that matter. He signed up at all the local tournaments and said that this is part of his stream of retirement income to be able to allow "extras". IOW golf winnings were a budget line item. It worked.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

D from BC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Exactly. The actual electronics are usually pretty fundamental. The work is done in software.

Nowadays, yes.

Reply to
Gary Tait

If you're arrogant, or bored, it's whatever you're doing. If you're modest it's whatever the fellow in the next cube over is doing, if you're conniving, it's what your boss is doing.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Hey! I use DSP to implement communications and control systems.

You may be right, although I would characterize those as being "most intensely mathematical" rather than "most difficult". They are going to be difficult for people who aren't intensely mathematical, or who have trouble pulling theory and practice together, but if you can do both of those they aren't too bad.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

I did. I lived in Santa Cruz back then too.

Paul Baran is semi-famous. Unlike Al Gore (spanish pronunciation of "G"), Baran really did invent the internet. Bob Dilworth took Metricom into the wireless ISP business and Baran was gone by then. Dilworth went onto the BOD, and was replaced by Tim Dreisbach. Some folks would say Dreisbach ruined the company. I suppose that could be partly true. Be he was following the marching orders of the people who put him there: Paul Allen and MCI. Ironically these major investors shot themselves in the foot by making unrealistic short-term growth demands of a small Los Gatos company as a condition of major investment. Essentially, the conditions attached to their investment was a poison pill. They just didn't know it.

Is RF the hardest? Well it is more in my comfort zone than other areas, but engineering is like bike racing: it is as hard as the racers make it. _Any branch_ can be hard given the proper constraints.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

One can make arguments whether NIH is good or bad in general or specifically. But that is quite explicitly _not_ what killed Metricom, not did it contribute in any way that could be identified. The technology worked. (It still works, although it won't be around for too much longer as the companies Ricochet has bounced (pun) around to since the ch7 are not inherently technology companies; they are service companies.)

"Little things" didn't kill the company. One big thing did.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

It's just a definition, but I'd suggest that if the work doesn't involve working with electricity (which programming doesn't) than it's not "electronics." Programmers don't have to understand anything about electrons or fields or things like that, and often don't.

John

Absolutely true.

As a member of the Rand Corporation in the late fifties. His concept

100%

Credit Dr. Rand, not Al Gore.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

They do if they are programming the control of over 800 channels that all have to be 100% synchronized. They are right there with the hardware engineers examining network analyzer output, and spectrum analyzer outputs.

THEN, they code.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

At first, I was thinking, "Of course, it takes place on an electronic thing, the computer", but then the Jacquard loom came to mind...

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If it needs power...it's electronic (or electrical) :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

designing something so simple it becomes universal.

outwitting Steve Jobs or the cloners

predicting when humanity will be able to really do time travel

inducing your two year old girl to follow daddy into electronics design

Reply to
HapticZ

I still have the steam powered numarical I was helping Babbage with. It isn't electrical.

It was too bad we got our funding yanked but that brwon haired girl he was fooling around with turned out to be the earl of something's kid.

Reply to
MooseFET

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It involves working with the hardware though.

Sometimes software can make the hardware easier (read cheaper) to build.

For microcontrollers and embedded systems, the software engineer needs to know about the hardware system to write their code, for the most part.

Reply to
Gary Tait