What is a chipscale package?

Can anyone explain to me what a Chipscale package is and how they fit in with BGAs?

I have has two different explainations in the last 24hrs, and cannot find any concrete evidence about which one to trust.

Many thanks,

SteveO.

Reply to
smo59

BGA is sometimes described as a 'chip scale package'. The term is often used for a package with contacts along the edges. There seem to be two different meanings for it.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

The simplest explanation is a package about the same size as the chip. In some cases, this can be the actual chip, with maybe an extra passivation layer at the bottom, and solder balls directly on this, with little else as packaging.

Reply to
Ian Stirling