What are 6.5 Digit Multimeters Good For?

resolution, stability, linearity, certification etc..

Reply to
Jamie

Yeah.. :P CRT + linear transformer + steel chassis = boat anchor. LCD + smps + plastic box = not boat anchor

Reply to
D from BC

Yes, but what's the downside of letting one more audiophool eliminate themselves from the genepool?

Michael A. Terrell

I have reservations about the amount of collateral damage which can occur. Some of the neighbors might be nice, sensible people... and innocent kittens might be hurt in the explosion, as well :-)

Dave Platt

Agilent beats Fluke.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Yeah... me too. Then I remembered the stupid windowphobic mentality this utter twit exercises on a regular basis.

KDE and Gnome went and got stupid.

I want lean, red meat, not bloated corpses. I'll take xfce or the like.

Hell, even setting up XBMC makes for a better desktop than the eye candy crap they are putting out from KDE and Gnome.

I would say that Gnome is a slight bit more stable, but I do not want to be a GUI auditor. I want to be a user without hassles.

Reply to
TheJoker

:

If you were any more retarded, I'd say you were from somewhere in Europe. Too late!

Reply to
TheJoker

Maybe from your board house, dipshit.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

:

stuff anyways.

or LIGO,

Not to mention the accuracy (or lack thereof) of the meter used to "verify" things with.

Even a 6.5 digit meter can be far enough off to make ANY measurement a best guess.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

You're an idiot. You could set the meter to match the reference reading at ONE point of measure. That does not mean, in any way shape or form, that the meter will be accurate at ANY other value, ever!

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

Your dumb opinions * our world knowledge = proof that you are the idiot I have always said that you are. This post cements that fact forever.

So, you retarded asshole, how much of the waters around where you live have you contaminated with your "boat anchors"? Be sure to be even more pathetic with your reply.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

stuff anyways.

LIGO,

You do not need to measure. Just model the conductor runs by length and use them as resistive elements of the sim circuit.

No need to measure what can easily be calculated to fairly extreme accuracy.

Reply to
BarnCat

Looks like you get the smarts award for today. It cannot be a mere current limit watchdog circuit. A constant current supply is a different animal.

Reply to
BarnCat

I think I hear a fly buzzing around in the room.

Reply to
D from BC

I see that you could not resist ringing true my prediction.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

I have an Agilent 34401A, in the same class as the Keithley 2100 and the Fluke 8845A. The Fluke is the best. The Agilent kicks a huge amount of noise from the VF display into the input terminals. The fudged the AC measurement firmware to hide it, but it can still cause problems.

The Fluke has the nicest menus, too. Both the K and the A can be really obtuse menu-wise.

John

Ha... I had just mentioned all that noise to Joerg yesterday as I was hunting around for noise sources entering a receiver!

Good to know we don't have a busted 34401 and it really is "just" poor design. :-(

I've never figured out why there seems to be little correlation between instrument cost and whether or not it gets a nice dot-matrix LCD/VFD/whatever vs. just a segment-mode display. Similarly there seems to be little correlation between the quality of the menu structures/input means and, e.g., how much screen real estate is avaialble.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Try welding one of those to the stator of a jet engine.

John

On a sunny day (Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:03:42 -0600) it happened John Fields wrote in :

:

stuff anyways.

or LIGO,

The question was not about accuracy, but how to measure .1 Ohm.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:36:25 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

Yes, better make something like this: + | load under test | 1A | + 1V ------------ + |/ out ------| NPN ----- - |\\ | opamp | | | -----------------------| | [ ] 1 Ohm | ///

Reply to
Jan Panteltje