What are these capacitors for?

I am looking at a schematic for a Peavey Equalizer. The power supply has PLUS 15VDC and MINUS 15VDC. After the bridge rectifier, and two large filter caps, there are two voltage regulators. From there, these voltages connect to the rest of the circuits.

On the bottom of the schematic, it shows +15v and -15v. (This is not shown as part of the full schematic, it's just a separate section on the drawing).

Anyhow, it shows eight 0.1 caps going from +15v to ground, and eight more 0.1 caps from -15v to ground. In total, there are 16 of these 0.1 caps (C38 thru C53). I have to ask, what is the point of having this many caps, doing the same thing? Why not just use ONE higher capacity cap on each side of the + and - power supply? I have not seen this before on any other circuits.

The schematic I have is a good drawing, but lacks a parts list, and the board does not have things labeled such as (C38), so it's rather difficult to locate the parts on the board.

I will mention that this equalizer does work, but needs a slider pot replaced, and a new power switch (which is presently jumped). So, i do not have to do any work on the actual circuit. But when I noticed this on the schematic, I was (and still am) puzzled as to the purpose of such a setup.

Does anyone have any idea why they would use such a design?

In case you want to look it up, it's a Peavey model EQ 215. 15 band rack mount stereo equalizer. I did not save the URL of the place I found this .PDF schematic, and it was not easy to find.

Reply to
oldschool

I want to say they did it to reduce the effective ESR of the caps but given that it's a consumer music-audio product it could be for any reason at all or no reason whatsoever, hard to say without pix.

Reply to
bitrex

0.1uF caps are often put next to ICs to clean up the supply rail to them. One big one further away wouldn't be as effective, there would be inductance & resistance in the track between cap & IC.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

One typically scatters a bunch of smallish ceramic caps around a board, for high frequency bypassing, so no opamp or logic gate is very far from a cap. They are not usually placed physically together on the PC board.

I use 1 uF 0805, usually, from 5 to maybe 50 on a board.

Most people use too many. It's like using garlic to keep away vampires. It works.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Whats the equivelent of silver bullets? Ferrite beads ?

Wooden stake? Ground planes ?

Martin Riddle

Some say that these foul beings can be destroyed by a stake through the heart, or exposure to sunlight. This does not suffice, however, as they may be brought back to life by means of a secret rite, which may be performed once a century, when the moon is in the Sixth House of Aquarius.

Kind of like Newt Gingrich

Reply to
bitrex

-----------------------------

** Nonsense.

** The purpose of distributed 0.1 caps is to prevent HF instability in the op-amp stages. Without them, oscillations may occur at certain control settings or as a permanent background.

Inductance in the DC rail tracks is the basic reason & much depends on which op-amp is being used.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

They are high frequency decoupling caps, spread around the circuit in strategic places. The idiot who drew the schematic didn't give a hint where they belonged or what they were for, though.

Sure. It probably wouldn't work without them (and it's easier putting them in than figuring out why it doesn't work later). Eight decoupling caps for a supply isn't a lot.

Reply to
krw

OP gave the impression that they were all physically located together on the PCB as well, which wouldn't make a lot of sense in this application.

Reply to
bitrex

snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com wrote on 10/24/2017 7:09 PM:

This is very common for digital designs where noise in the MHz range is common. The larger caps and especially the caps that are not low inductance, like electrolytic and even tantalum caps won't filter the higher frequencies as well. Also, the power distribution can cause problems with noise coupling from one chip to the next. So they often use caps very close to the power and ground leads that have very little inductance.

However, this is of much less value in audio circuits where there should be little high frequency noise sources and amplifiers are less sensitive to high frequency noise. But if you are trying to design equipment that has very low noise levels and there are sources of high frequency noise, you might uses these caps near many of the chips.

Does this unit have much digital in it? Digital circuits are often a source of noise for analog circuits.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

They are grouped together on the schematic, but I did not find any cluster of them on the PCB. There are a lot of caps on the board, and I'm finding an occasional 0.1 here and there. Since the board does not have them marked as (C38) or whatever, I dont know which ones they are.

If I had to do any actual work on the circuits, I'd need a much more detailed schematic. But I found what I needed on this poorly made drawing to determine the resistance of the slider pot I have to replace.

Reply to
oldschool

This makes the most sense......

Reply to
oldschool

Parallel planes make great HF caps. If you have power pours over a ground plane, you don't need to put caps close to parts.

Big digital chips, CPUs and FPGAs, now have substantial bypassing on-chip. So don't need a bunch of bypasses nearby.

lunatic fringe electronics

That's basic common knowledge, but when I asked about mobo replacement caps, people said it's ok to use long leads if the cap doesn't fit.

It reminded me of the AC family with center power pins because the corner pins had too much inductance. Something about this isn't clear.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

and it does that by cleaning up the psu rails lol.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

"cleaning up" is a vague term, it implies that the instability is caused by noise originating from the power supply or power line itself, which isn't why it happens.

Reply to
bitrex

John Larkin wrote on 10/24/2017 10:07 PM:

Most people don't understand that.

That is only true for certain chips. Many FPGAs and CPUs don't have bypassing on chip. There are still other signal integrity issues to worry about.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Rule of thumb...

Martin Riddle

--------------------------

** Bollocks.

The distributed 0.1 caps LOWER the DC supply impedance at HF preventing the instability.

DC rails do not oscillate but wide band op-amps often do if not adequately bypassed.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"September 12, 1997"

A lot has changed since then. Here is another quote from that article.

"Your design is good for only one board".

But how many boards it the rule of thumb good for? Which ones are they?

If you are designing jelly bean sort of designs then sure, you can use this sort of overkill without problem. But how do you know when this approximation no longer works?