B&K Precision bench multimeters, good?

Gents,

In the market for a new bench meter, 4-1/2 digits is sufficient. To my surprise I saw on their web site that B&K is an American company which, of course, I'd gladly support. Is it true for their meters and stuff that they are at least engineered here? Are they good? Looking at the 2831E:

I really like VF displays, much more so than LCD.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

1E:

I've got a hand held B&K DMM. I like it, pretty much the same readings as a more expensive fluke, whenever I've checked. I've also got a bench voltmeter from Keithley (2100), 6/12 digits, not much more than the B&K.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There's a 5-1/2 digit Keithley 191 on eBay for $69 BIN. I have a couple, which I like very well. Only one has the AC board, and neither is true-RMS of course.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

1E:

when I saw B&K I thought Brüel & Kjær , but I guess it is not the same company

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Thanks, good to know. The Keithley is more than 2x the price even as a refurb.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, I don't have a personal EBay account. And I really like the fact that the B&K has USB connectivity. I tend to use that a lot because then I can watch a trend from across the room, BIG numbers on the screen.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thought the same a few years ago. However, this one is a US company (now branched out worldwide). The founder might have European roots, but more in Germany than in Denmark.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I like my Fluke 45, which has given me good service for over 20 years. Its true RMS accuracy is better than the B&K, and some are available on eBay for $250-$300:

The B&K is about 0.4% accuracy on true RMS:

df

The Fluke 45 is about 0.2%:

082

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

B&K and Bruel and Kjaer are NOTHING like each other. If their meters are like their power supplies that I've seen they're just rebranded Chinese (probably Taiwan invested Chinese) product.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

2831E:

Hmm, that's a bit concerning. Was the quality low?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Don't know the B&K, but if your budget is flexible I can recommend the Fluke 8845A/8846A. Excellent and extremely useful bench meter.

Only minuses are that it likes to stay connected to the mains even if switched off, perhaps to keep the reference heated. If completely disconnected it takes a long (say 30 sec) initializing phase before it can be used. Found it also annoying that the maximum logging length is limited to 50.000 measurements even if you store on an USB stick (8846A).

Regards, Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Bahner

2831E:

Pretty standard for decent Chinese stuff (usuable but not overly impressive). Personally, I'd go for the Agilent 34401, but I know this is a fraction of the price.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The 2100 is a generic Chinese rebrand. You see it all over the place. I had three and sent them all back. I annoyed Keithley so much that they gave me 2000's instead.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

2831E:

Their 844USB device programmer is great. It's made by Elnec in Slovakia.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It's really overkill, I don't need 6-1/2 digits. 4-1/2 is fine for me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

can

limited

It does have excellent AC True-RMS accuracy of 0.04% RDG + 0.02% Range, but it is AC coupled. The Fluke 45 uses a calculated AC+DC measurement which is sqrt(AC^2+DC^2).

The 8845/6 also has Kelvin resistance measurement which is lacking on the

  1. I think that is a very important feature, especially measuring low ohms or to compensate for lead and clip resistance.

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

2831E:

Ok, so maybe I should take the plunge then.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

2831E:

Oh, I also bought a Keithley 2401 source/measurement unit.

It does this,

and if you grab one of the insulated test leads, it does this:

It has a CE sticker, but there's no way it really passed the EMI tests.

Sent it back too.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

2831E:

When I read all this it begs the question: Does it really matter anymore whether we buy gear from US manufacturers?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

h,

2831E:

..

ed text -

Hmm interesting, thanks.

I've used my 2100 for ~0.1% (four figure) measurements. (Mostly as an AC and DC voltmeter) Beyond that I don't have anything to compare it to. What was your problem?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold