what a horrible data sheet

with no firewall or AV, way past 1998, when 98 was described as being hope lessly vulnerable. A freebie machine for domestic use. It was left on 24/7 and used a lot. Checking it after 2 years showed it had zero malware. There are certainly risks out there, but many overstate them wildly for obvious reasons - firstly copmanies for profit & secondly individuals who think by quoting others they're knowledgeable.

on.

Ie you believe what you were told. Oh well.

uld infect a computer even if it never viewed a web page or email. As soon as you connected to the Internet your IP would be found and you would be i nfected. I know this because I was trying to fix a friend's machine and ke pt forgetting to install the update to fix this vulnerability before I conn ected to the line (using a modem) and would be reinfected within a minute. lol

Reply to
tabbypurr

Worse, the new "color" schemes are very hard on the eyes. I just had to use our travel expense accounting system. The text is dark gray on light gray. I couldn't see the text so it took three tries (boss had to reject it three times) before I got the accounting numbers right. I couldn't see the numbers. What happened to contrast?

Reply to
krw

To prevent voltage destruction. First available on the Signetics

25120.
Reply to
krw

I get good response from Diodes. If I call with a question or ask for samples, the sales rep shows up in a few days and takes me to lunch, too. ;-)

Or a lunch or two, which is. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Sometimes you can sweep the mouse to highlight text and make it more legible.

lunatic fringe electronics

Every Windows version has a number of server processes with listening ports waiting for TCP/IP connection. The intension is that client processes running in the same computer or in the company domain make a TCP/IP connection request to the server listening port. The server process itself seldom makes proper parameter checks or any user authentication.

The problem was that in older Windows versions all these listening ports were visible to the external world via Internet. Any external malware knowing the (usually standardized) port number for various servers could connect to the server listening port and send malformed requests to the server process.

In later Windows versions, there is a firewall installed by default, which makes those listening ports invisible to the external world, thus the malware can no longer connect.

If it is the intension is to run a server process visible to the external world, a hole must be made to the firewall. Hopefully this server process makes proper request validation and possibly user authentication.

If some very old Windows version does no longer become infected today is that the malware writers assume that there are no more unpatched systems after a decade or two, so it is not worth trying to connect to these server ports.

Reply to
upsidedown

s with no firewall or AV, way past 1998, when 98 was described as being hop elessly vulnerable. A freebie machine for domestic use. It was left on 24/7 and used a lot. Checking it after 2 years showed it had zero malware. Ther e are certainly risks out there, but many overstate them wildly for obvious reasons - firstly copmanies for profit & secondly individuals who think by quoting others they're knowledgeable.

ion. Sometime around 2002 or so there was a virus/trojan/other malware tha t would infect a computer even if it never viewed a web page or email. As soon as you connected to the Internet your IP would be found and you would be infected. I know this because I was trying to fix a friend's machine an d kept forgetting to install the update to fix this vulnerability before I connected to the line (using a modem) and would be reinfected within a minu te. lol

Win-dos was fundamentally unsecurable. It was like a house with no back wal l. It was a compromise that was thought to be reasonable in 98, but proved to be a security disaster. Nonetheless a lot of folk used it without gettin g malwared - and too many did get bit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On 6/29/2019 10:18 AM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: [snip]

[snip]

Sometimes an ad blocker can cause these problems.

Reply to
gray_wolf

rs with no firewall or AV, way past 1998, when 98 was described as being ho pelessly vulnerable. A freebie machine for domestic use. It was left on 24/

7 and used a lot. Checking it after 2 years showed it had zero malware. The re are certainly risks out there, but many overstate them wildly for obviou s reasons - firstly copmanies for profit & secondly individuals who think b y quoting others they're knowledgeable.

sion.

would infect a computer even if it never viewed a web page or email. As so on as you connected to the Internet your IP would be found and you would be infected. I know this because I was trying to fix a friend's machine and kept forgetting to install the update to fix this vulnerability before I co nnected to the line (using a modem) and would be reinfected within a minute . lol

I assume your post was a typo? It makes no sense.

--

  Rick C.

  +-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Or use reader mode in Firefox which makes it very legible by ignoring most of the formatting including the bad colors. F9 on your keyboard if you are too lazy to click.

--

  Rick C.

  ++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

This was a drop-down. No highlights allowed. I see web sites that have dark-dark red on dark red. Can't read it at all.

Reply to
krw