what a horrible data sheet

I get irritated by websites that don't render properly, are browser version dependent and other stuff. A lot of sites these days are too clever by half, excessive use of script, crap coding etc, so it's no surprise that they don't render properly. Ideally, there would be standards that everyone followed, but have seen some browsers that don't even render plain html consitently, never mind script or one of the trendy web languages of the month stuff.

Have used firefox browsers since the early netscape days and still on v52, since later versions don't work with some addons. With all systems here, once a machine is stable I rarely update anything unless there is a real need, even if some sites don't work. That's their problem, if they want to sell to me, not mine and I just go elsewhere...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I think that risk is overplayed. If you have good firewalling and are sensible about the sites you visit, disable script in the email client and delete / never click content on email the don't recognise there's little risk for the average user, Major commercial sites are always at risk, but have never used antivirus software here and have not had any problems in over 10 years.

Like insurance, antivirus software is selling fear, sucks system resources and only needed by the careless...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I tend to be suspicious of limited info in data sheets. Does that mean they haven't tested the part properly, or are they trying to hide something within the parameters ?. Good companies like the old nat semi, texas and analog device had pages of data, everything you could need and more. Suspect a greater spread of parameters now, with so much made in the far east and pricing pressure...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I use Malwarebytes and I like it. It warns about/quaranties a lot of things like pups and stuff. The user interface is clean and it seems to be unobtrusive. It scans my whole system at 3AM.

Too many web sites play scripting games these days. And many won't work if you restrict scripting too much.

lunatic fringe electronics

It might be that they assign their dimmer bulbs to writing the data sheets.

But sometimes real hazards are deliberately hidden. That helps hundreds of users discover them independently.

Every data sheet should have a KNOWN HAZARDS section.

Don't get me started on versions and packaging options.

Or SPI interfaces on analog parts.

Or non-existant/wrong DC specs on RF parts.

Snarl.

lunatic fringe electronics

You really have to have javascript enabled in Firefox, as many sites don't work at all without it, even though script is a real security risk. I mitigate that with the noscript and ghostery addons, which can be a pain for some media sites, with all the cross site scripting they use, again a major security risk. Both those plugins allow fine grained control over what get's downloaded and run. Can be a pain for an initial visit, but fine on subsequent visits. Also use a hosts file here, which just blocks any site in the list by default. Plain editable text file which you can add or delete entries.

Nothing is 100% secure, but it's just a balance of risk vs amount of effort to give the best result...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Am 26.06.19 um 16:10 schrieb John Larkin:

<

There is intentional and switchable low pass filtering in the comparator. The noise from DC to daylight would appear as time jitter at the output.

BTW I replaced that following ad9901 by a 2-FF phase comparator in a corner of Xilinx Coolrunner2.

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Connected to the Internet, that's true. Offline, though, the risk of doing 'updates' provided by multiple third parties is just as bad. I've got a long list of good useful softwares that were broken by updates... and that's why I keep four or five elderly machines working. The only bright spot in the software universe is the specified protocols of (for instance) USB in dealing with plugged-in devices that fit one of the device models. No software 'driver' needed, any compliant OS has the right interface/stack/driver ready to accept it.

Java: write once, run anywhere. It was a nice promise, but doesn't always work that way.

Reply to
whit3rd

I run Qubes, which uses the delightful idea of 'disposable VMs". If one of them gets pwned, oh well, it goes away when you close the browser, pwnage and all. I hardly ever use browsers on monolithic OSes.

Highly recommended.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I like em black, more comfortable on the eye. I had an app that warned me everytime it started that it was running with the built in black ui theme.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What happened to the basic principle of browsers being able to display websites?

Reply to
tabbypurr

I see you like misinterpreting things

it doesn't take anything like 5 years. Software folk seem to think that new & newish machines that run like molasses are ok - that does not fit with how I work. FWLIW ram is already maxed out on this one.

no I mean crap. There's no end of instances where you can get 2 applications, one runs quick & lean, the other is sloth-like yet the latter does no more than the former.

Well, I do things like that when there are upsides. Browsers ought to work when 2 years old though.

am I? Oh. If site designers cba to make their pages work with popular browsers I normally just go elsewhere. I don't remember clashing with them over it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes - but it's not clever, it's perhaps ill considered to alienate many customers. Certainly many buys I would have made I've gone elsewhere because their software just doesn't work.

yup

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Too many web sites, too many coders. And Microsoft.

I see a lot of broken web sites lately.

lunatic fringe electronics

ty holes are stuffed all the time, if you keep an old browser your system c ould be wide open to intruders

Way back when I put an old win98 machine online for someone for 2 years wit h no firewall or AV, way past 1998, when 98 was described as being hopeless ly vulnerable. A freebie machine for domestic use. It was left on 24/7 and used a lot. Checking it after 2 years showed it had zero malware. There are certainly risks out there, but many overstate them wildly for obvious reas ons - firstly copmanies for profit & secondly individuals who think by quot ing others they're knowledgeable.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ally could rant about it.

everytime it started that it was running with the built in black ui theme.

Yeah, I hate the grey on grey thing too. There are some types I literally can't read. Fortunately Firefox has a reader view mode that not only corre cts the grey crap, but gets rid of the ads and such. Some pages are nearly impossible to read because of the interference the ads make causing the pa ge to jump up or down as the ads load and overlays moving around as you scr oll the page.

--

  Rick C.

  -+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Good idea. I want to try the same sort of thing on vmware when I get the time, but have doubts about performance. A modern desktop with fast internet feed gives almost instant response and I would miss that.

Whatever, but restrict browsing to a single machine and have different hardware and OS's for serious work. Also, use server versions of windows for the desktop, server 2003 until late last year, now server 2008. Why ?, more robust and has far better system management and security tools out of the box, compared to home windows versions...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

lity holes are stuffed all the time, if you keep an old browser your system could be wide open to intruders

ith no firewall or AV, way past 1998, when 98 was described as being hopele ssly vulnerable. A freebie machine for domestic use. It was left on 24/7 an d used a lot. Checking it after 2 years showed it had zero malware. There a re certainly risks out there, but many overstate them wildly for obvious re asons - firstly copmanies for profit & secondly individuals who think by qu oting others they're knowledgeable.

I find that hard to believe unless there was something to stop the invasion . Sometime around 2002 or so there was a virus/trojan/other malware that w ould infect a computer even if it never viewed a web page or email. As soo n as you connected to the Internet your IP would be found and you would be infected. I know this because I was trying to fix a friend's machine and k ept forgetting to install the update to fix this vulnerability before I con nected to the line (using a modem) and would be reinfected within a minute. lol

Maybe that bug has finally died off from being starved to death.

--

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

I can see it, and I'm running NoScript and AdBlock Plus in Firefox 67.0.4 in Win10 with Avast guarding my gates so to speak.

I just did a Java update (I only still have it for one or two sites); maybe that's it?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

I don't do any updates independently of just letting the browsers update when they wish. I let Windows update when I am willing to deal with the reboot or two or three.

I do recall when a security issue was found in Java I believe. The recommendation was to turn off Java since the problem was something inherent and could not be fixed. After finding some number of web pages that didn't work, I turned it back on.