thermal pad to ground?

No where do I find what the thermal pad is connect to. Ground? Floating? or what? I assume ground but that doesn't seem to be a necessarily safe choice if it happens to be connected to V.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

On page 3 its says "The exposed pad is electrically not connected" So connect it to anything you want. Your ground plane is usually the best bet.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

There must be some JEDEC standard that requires the electrical characteristics of power pads to be undefined.

Some float, some are V-, some are ground, some are even documented.

Call ST, or ohm it out in all directions to everything.

John

Page 3, "Note: the exposed pad is electrically not connected."

Dave Platt

or just look harder on page 3!

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

damn, right under my nose... must be going blind. I searched the pdf for pad and it only returned the one on the IC ;/

thx

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

It's there... I'm just going crazy... (broke my glasses and it's been 3 weeks and still haven't revieced my new pair so I do have a good excuse ;)

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Umm, page 3?

This is a trick question , right?

Martin Riddle

...Jim Thompson

"Jon Slaughter Stand Up Comic "

** Wrong terminology !!!

The term " thermal pad " has a well understood meaning in electronics.

Google the term.

What that IC has is a ** heatsink pad** .

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@r15g2000prd.googlegroups.com...

These things can be notoriously hard to find. I've found it's most commonly asterisked in the package data at the end of the datasheet, but have found it scattered all over the place, or in some cases not at all.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

We usually call them "power pads", which is actually the TI trademark.

LTC calls them "thermal pad."

ADI uses "exposed paddle" and "exposed pad."

John

Not much consistency, except that I didn't find "heatsink pad" once in my brief search.

ST: "Thermal Pad" (page 1) and "exposed pad" (page 3)

National: "Exposed Pad" and "EP"

Linear Technology: "Exposed Pad"

Analog Devices: "Exposed Pad".

TI: "Exposed Thermal Pad" (and "Exposed Metalized Feature" for the doohickeys on the sides of the "Exposed Thermal Pad").

TI (Burr Brown): "Exposed Thermal Pad"

Silicon Laboratories: "ePad" for device and "thermal pad land" for PCB.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

OK, sometimes they just hide it in the fine print.

John

It was definitely not anywhere in one part I used a few years ago. Even in the fine print. After playing phone tage for days I got the answer.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Some datasheets just say to nail it to "the ground plane" without actually saying if it's connected internally.

We always ohm them out just to be sure, or at least a little more sure.

I Dremel sectioned one TI part that is spec'd as having an isolated paddle. The chip is clearly soldered to the paddle. Maybe it's a DI thing.

John

or

choice

Or the die is backed with some form of oxide.

...Jim Thompson

or

choice

Elaborating, die back-side treatment as opposed to DI, which is done as channel/etch/oxide-fill from the die topside.

...Jim Thompson

Ambiguity = FUN !!!!

How else could you have jokes?

John

Here's one that depends on misdirection and surprise rather than ambiguity. As a consequence, it should be translatable to other languages and cultures (stolen from another newsgroup)

--  A woman was standing nude, looking in the bedroom mirror. She was not happy with what she saw and said to her husband, "I feel horrible; I look old, fat and ugly. I really need you to pay me a compliment."    The husband replies, "Your eyesight's damned near perfect."

--

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany