web site feedback

Your potential customers with broken monitors/video cards/browsers wouldn't even know? :-)

Point taken, though; hedging on the conservative side of what you expect your potential customers have is certainly the way to go.

But you should still get *yourself* a better setup. :-)

BTW, your web site even looks correct and loads quickly on my *phone*.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

All our PCs are identical, HP ProLiant server boxes with hot-plug RAID. If one breaks, you pull out a new one and move your drives, and you're back up in 10 minutes. But she does PCB layouts, so got herself a fancy-schmantzy dual monitor setup. I don't see why tape and mylar aren't good enough.

John

I see white/cream. I like it, though gray would be fine too. The font really looks good on this display (1920x1200) without zooming at all.

I'm not a webby type, but I'd like to see the border around the specifications a little heavier to contain the view and make it look more like the tabs belonged to that part of the page. The larger cream color border is a little distracting unless the inner one is a heavier.

BTW, I'm using FireFox 3.6.13.

Reply to
krw

(Browsing through some REALLY OLD versions of your web site at archive.org...)

I like your original "help wanted" ad here from 5/5/1998:

--- ANALOG ELECTRONIC DESIGN ENGINEER

Sorry, we have no cubicles.

Do you want to live in Sheetrock County, fight for lunchtime parking at the Red Lion Inn, and spend the next few years on a design team writing VHDL test vectors? Well, neitherdo we. Highland Technology designs and manufactures precision electronic instruments, with emphasis on scientific instrumentation and ultrafast (picosecond-speed) measurements.

We're located in San Francisco just two blocks away from Golden Gate Park, two miles from Ocean Beach, and two lightyears away from Silicon Valley. We design world-class products in a human-friendly, casual environment, and want people who want to stick around for a while and grow with us.

If you are a certified analog circuit genius, or would like to become one, come help us design beautiful circuits. Sure, we do FPGAs, embedded uPs, DSP, VME, PCI too, but anybody can do that stuff. Interested? Send us your favorite schematic and resume.

---

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I was wondering if any engineers might use tablets, and how they'd work. I suspect most engineers still use PCs with big screens.

John

Personal opinion: every Web designer should be required to surf his/her site, on a generic PC with a slow processor, with a plain-Jane monitor and video card... at the far end of a 56k dialup-modem link. As a tolerable alternative to the latter, surf using WiFi in a crowded coffee shop with a single shared DSL connection.

All too often, I run into Web pages which look and behave great when viewed on a 4-core UltraWhizzo system, with a monitor no smaller than

1920 pixels wide, with several megabits of dedicated connectivity bandwidth... and are effectively unusable on less-splendiferous setups.

It's rather bemusing, when those sites belong to companies that really seem to want to *sell* something to me... but make it so difficult to find it via casual surfing. Apparently, they really don't want any customer who doesn't have a "godlike PC, with feet of Cray."

Web designers get extra credit from me (lots of it!) for producing pages whose basic functionality (reading, searching, click-and-surf) is implemented entirely in conformant HTML and doesn't require Java, JavaScript, Flash, or any other client-side whizbang engine to be usable. Adding extra bells and whistles with these technologies is fine, but I think the sites should be usable without them.

Dave Platt

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh, them's fightin' words.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cool!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Because it's, like, sooo last week :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

it.

On my XP machine, I see cream-coloured buttons and similar coloured bands.

On my HP Win7 netbook, the "coloured" areas appear as a light grey

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

I just checked this out, using MSIE 8 under Win XP. Looks OK to me. I see beige-vs-white.

I also tried Netscape 4.7 - came out badly with lots missing and lack of beige-vs-white - probably web page coding too modern for that older browser.

2 things I can suggest: 1) To maximize browser compatibility including what is probably some significant usage of something or other in "legacy class", I would code or rewrite the page with a version of HTML that MSIE 6 or better- still-if-possible 5 understands. 2) Colors: I just examinjed the color, and on 0-255 scale I found: R = 240 G = 234 B = 214

For better results with PC systems having web browsers, video cards and/ or settings thereof not up to what I consider "modern-usual" for colors, I would make G = 204 and B = at most 192, maybe as low as 153. As of almost 15 years ago, there was advice to make solid colors and text colors having R, G, and B values being 51 times integers ranging from 0 to 5, with a few others having something a multiple of 64 (especially if it's

128 or 192, especially if that's a shade of gray) having good prospect of working out. 255-204-153 appears to me to work extremely well, far and wide if the issue is color choice. That appears to me to be a rather orangish shade of "warm white". Blue much higher than 153 when green = 204 gets pinkish, while G = R gives a maybe-chartreusish shade of yellow when B is low enough to make the color non-white. 255-255-204 is a whitish maybe-slightly-chartreusish "banana yellow".
--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

I did somewhat say this before...

For good compatibility with non-optimum settings, older browsers, older video cards, whatever...

Make a web page compatible with what was available in 1998 or 1987 or so. Even if rewriting is necessary, code it in a version of HTML that

1998-or-so web browsers understand. Not XML or SHTML, but HTML if at all doeable.

Otherwise, code the web page with the longest-understood most-universally-understood webpage coding that you can use.

"The Acid Test" is being understood by MSIE 5 under Win 98 and the main competition to MSIE 6.

As for colors in solid color and text color items - the roughly-15-year- old advice is to make R, G and B values multiples of 51. I would limit those to 0, 102, 153, 204 and 255 because 51 is close enough to zero with usual monitor gamma, especially for R and B. A few other colors are notably widely accepted back then, IIRC mostly with G = 128 or 192, especially IIRC 128-128-128 and 192-192-192 grays.

255-204-153 "orangish warm white" appears to me close enough to worldwide-accepted when the issue is color; web-compatible to computers, monitoprs, video cards and software that were latest-and-greatest as far back as 1996, maybe 1995.

If I get to hear that I can do so without violating any koppy stuff, I can post or e-mail a link to a screen capture of that page reworked to have the beige changed to 255-204-153 "orangish warm white", supposedly around 3500-3600 K but looks to me rather orangish when

255-255-255 (supposedly 6500 K) is "white".
--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

On IE7/XP, the list under "T750 4-channel compact high-voltage driver" is severely buggered, to use a technical term - the first 4.5 lines are missing.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Peter Bennett

How does this page work for you?:

I manually set the alternating colours for the table. It takes a bit of care when changing the officers each year. Since your spec table likely won't ever change, manually setting the colours should be no problem, and will be more reliable than using Java.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Peter Bennett

sites

e.g.,

That is supposed to be a control room for a power plant.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

EEEEEE sounds to me like an almost-white gray, with R, G and B values equal to each other and equal to 239 on a 0-255 scale. I seem to think that if color is an issue, 204-204-204 will get a lighter shade of gray. If 192 gets gray but 204 does not, then I consider that to be news to me.

94-87-80 on 0-255 scale appears to me to be a darkish gray-brown, appearing to me very excessively dark for the purpose that I have seen so far.
--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

2/3 of them with their graphic cards and their drivers and operating systems and web browsers are "all up to snuff"?

Is the percentage more like 75% for "all combos of above" being "cutting the modern mustard"? What if nowadays it is easy to argue for 90 or 95 or

97 or even 98 %?

What about the other 2-33%?

Speaking for myself, I like to as-much-as-possible have everything that I put in my (non-commercial) website being compatible with old graphical web browsers down to what was available to run under Win 3.0 enhanced by "Win32S", around early 1995. Or at least no higher than Windows 95 running Netscape maybe as low as 2.-something, and I still test my web pages with Netscape 4.7. As well as being at least fairly compatible with monitors, graphics cards, etc. that were available in 1996.

Also, all HTML in my website is hand-typed and of a low version; I hope none of version higher than 2.0. I also do not write nor update web pages of mine even now with coding other than hand-typed HTML of some old version, probably even now 1.0-2.0 or so, probably 1.0.

I like to make my website free of Java/Javascript, all other scripts and executable versions of scripts, cookies, CGS, etc., and webpage coding in any language other than the lowest version of HTML that w3.org can currently online verify is correctly written - or even lower such as 1.0.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com) (http://members.misty.com/don/index.html)
Reply to

My website is hardly-to-slightly in favor of customers, and stone-age to "scriptkiddies and elitists" and the like, especially those who produce websites for news media businesses and similar organizations.

I would prefer to be the curmudgeon that resists against all factions that "advance" PC technology to the extent of needing people to keep on "buying the greatest and latest".

There is even a website that I have. I hope I have all of its coding and writing done correctly according to HTML 1.0, with text and solid colors being on the "6-6-6 Color Cube" with few exceptions. Some of my web pages are "verified HTML-correct" by w3.org according to a version of HTML IIRC 2.something or 3.something -...

I like to have compatibility as opposed to "pushing the bleeding cutting edge".

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com, http://members.misty.com/don/index.html)
Reply to
Don Klipstein

That means that in order to accomplish any shade of even whitish yellow, beige, warm-white or pink, the blue coding needs to be at least halfway down or possibly entirely down to 201-202, though I like to think that 204 will do such reliably.

In order to get anything between a possibly-chartreusish-banana-yellow and pink, G needs to be discerned as lower than R, and B needs to be discerned as lower than G.

Should the problem be only one of color compatibility...

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

I would suggest great suggestion!

Could some monitors nowadays be showing 214 as high towards white as

255?

Gotta dip down to 204 or less to get much of anything else?

(For some monitors but not most)

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

So, you do not have a cell phone? You are posting on a 386? Oh, that's right, modern browsers require a Pentium something.

I suppose you still print out all of your documents on dot matrix printers too?

Oh, and I'm sure that the old legacy hardware out there could handle billions of emails and Usenet posts a day.

So, me utilizing 10Gb/s gear at work to make all the 1Gb/s channels out there fire back and forth faster and more efficiently is 'bad' progress?

Me wanting the new Samsung thing after six years of not even a cell phone is me wanting the latest and the greatest? No. That is me wanting to stay as far away from Crapple as possible. No family of iPUDs here. That bandwagon is for idiots. Boycott Apple.

They do not "need people to keep on buying"... WE WANT TO KEEP ON GETTING the LATEST AND THE GREATEST!

Sheesh. Where did you miss that basic premise? Is your stereo still only two channels too?

Reply to
I AM THAT I AM